Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
myhermannitortoises
Egg

Default Leopard tortoise REAL CARE

Hi, my mum says that she doesnt want me to have a leopard tortoise because there is hardly any good information out there.
Ever since i left home, she rekons i have forgotton everything i know about leopard torts and looking after them over the years. and if i did get one she would probably have a massive go at me for not looking after it properly. since i'm not aloud to rehome one from tt i am going to buy one from the reptile shop that i work in. Tammie saying "You now threaten to buy from a pet shop ... your true colours are shown" is kind of true. I take care of them leopards in the shop every day and have done for the last two years. I have been looking after leopards in my family the last 16 years (i moved out 4 years ago so i havnt looked after one for 4 years). The lopeards at the shop are 15 years old brilliant conditions, healthy and most importantly CAPTIVE BRED. I am going to ask kindly as to not get int trouble - why don't you put the heathrow leopards back into the wild? If you ring heathrow they should tell you where the plane came from (with the leopards on). You could easily put them in a wildlife reserve.

These are my opinions, i havn't really done anything wrong in this post. No swearing, no demands.

REMOVED POLL BECAUSE IT WAS POINTLESS, SARAH Andy if you are not happy with this pm me keep it off the forum.
Old 30-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
tot
Incubating

I would love to help you but i don't no much myself if you look around the site i am sure you can get it all into a word pad and print it off to help you learn good luck
Old 30-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
sarah
Administrator
Adult

There is lots on the forum use the seach button above. Please don't get one because they are up for rehoming aka free. They are huge tortoises and can cost alot to heat in the winter as you have already been told.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 30-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
myhermannitortoises
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
They are huge tortoises and can cost alot to heat in the winter as you have already been told.
I know, i have been told and i have already said on this forum or a different forum. the size and with an economic bulb which i have got it may be less expenciveis ok.
Thanks
Andrew
Old 30-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
tot
Incubating

With every tort you need money put aside you never no when some think goes wrong
Old 30-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
myhermannitortoises
Egg

i know, thanks , ive been using literally basics so i have enough money to spare but expencive enough to give them a good life.
Old 30-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
terrypin
Adult

hi Andy i know it would be nice to have a leopard tortoise but i feel you should wait a while and build up your experience with what you have for a start you dont even have any adult hermans surely you want to enjoy all the years of hatching eggs and persuading females to lay their eggs for you .all this is what i have experiencd and enjoyed over the years if you fill your home with different species you wont be able to do this and it would be a shame for you to miss all that.
terry
Old 31-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
thedeadtroll
Hatched

andy

you do need to listen to the advice being given to you ..

especially with regard to learning how to look after torts, their living conditions etc

redfoots are especially difficult to look after

vivs are not the best place for torts for example.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
myhermannitortoises
Egg

My mum has been keeping leopards for 20+ years!!!! i keep telling everyone that. as soon as i moved out 4 years ago apparantly i have no experience!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
terrypin
Adult

are you bored that you have to ask the same questions and keep contradicting yourself ..and i quote my mum says that she doesnt want me to have a leopard tortoise because there is hardly any good in formation out there also and again i quote... my mum has been keeping leopards for 20+ years.that doesnt make sense unless your mum knows something about this i dont.
terry
Closed Thread