Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #91
EJ
Adult

Break out the old basic biology book or any book on nutrition. As vertebrates we all have the same basic nutritional requirement. Reptiles are a little different because they are poikilotherms so there nutritional requirement will be dependent on temperature. With homeotherms nutritional requirement is pretty standard.

There is no need for me to prove you wrong. I have no trouble maintaining 50+ tortoises on the diet I provide and the only variation in diet they get is whatever is available. They all get the same diet except for the incidentals.

I can't give you one specific reference without looking for it but if you can't grasp the simple fact that all chelonians have the same basic nutritional requirement... I'm not going to waste my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
Yes, I admit it was not the best article in the world but still interesting. Ed, can you provide a reference which backs up your opinion? I still can't get how a hingeback and a Leopard have the same nutritional requirement, but I'll wait for you to prove me wrong
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #92
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Break out the old basic biology book or any book on nutrition. As vertebrates we all have the same basic nutritional requirement. Reptiles are a little different because they are poikilotherms so there nutritional requirement will be dependent on temperature. With homeotherms nutritional requirement is pretty standard.

There is no need for me to prove you wrong. I have no trouble maintaining 50+ tortoises on the diet I provide and the only variation in diet they get is whatever is available. They all get the same diet except for the incidentals.

I can't give you one specific reference without looking for it but if you can't grasp the simple fact that all chelonians have the same basic nutritional requirement... I'm not going to waste my time.
I can accept the basic nutritional requirement but there are other requirements which also come into play. Anyway, the argument's over. Goodbye everybody, I'm logging off.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #93
EJ
Adult

Can you please leave the ball...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
I can accept the basic nutritional requirement but there are other requirements which also come into play. Anyway, the argument's over. Goodbye everybody, I'm logging off.
and
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #94
Mick.Ire
Hatched

"There is no need for me to prove you wrong. I have no trouble maintaining 50+ tortoises on the diet I provide and the only variation in diet they get is whatever is available. They all get the same diet except for the incidentals"

and

"I feed 15 species the exact same diet."
Backtracking.

For a mature gentleman Ed, your not very mature........or a gentleman. What's with the insults??

You are capable of saying some very interesting things on this forum but very capable of insulting people who don't agree with you. Kind of like a schoolyard bully. Perhaps the big words you like to use make you feel big.

And what's with the patronising? Who are yo to call me Kid or Bright??????? I probably have the same education as you, actualy probably better since I'm a lot younger and we both do the same day job except I don't work for delta so I wouldn't be so quick to look down on others.

I think you thrive on conflict and we are worse for reacting.

Now I'm officially done with this thread. Chow.
1.5.5 Hinge-backs,
1.0.0 Yellow Foot,
1.0.0 Indian Star
0.1.0 Pancake.

Last edited by Mick.Ire; 10-07-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Mick.Ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #95
EJ
Adult

I don't know where I'm being insulting.

My advice is being challanged and I'm defending it.

I still don't understand the 'backtracking' reference.

Nobody has ever accused me of being mature... but... I have been told I act like a gentleman... on occasion.

Over the years I've been put in my place many times. I expect it will happen in the future. I have no problem saying I'm wrong when that is the case. That's part of the learning process.

I never finished my degree in Geology but I did get a 2 year degree in Biology... with honors... and education actually starts with any kind of degree. Reptiles have been my life since about age 8... and I grew up in NYC.

I don't look down on anyone... except those that I perceive are looking down on me... it's an insecurity thing.

I thrive on being challenged. I'm hoping it keeps the grey matter fireing longer.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.Ire View Post
"There is no need for me to prove you wrong. I have no trouble maintaining 50+ tortoises on the diet I provide and the only variation in diet they get is whatever is available. They all get the same diet except for the incidentals"

and

"I feed 15 species the exact same diet."
Backtracking.

For a mature gentleman Ed, your not very mature........or a gentleman. What's with the insults??

You are capable of saying some very interesting things on this forum but very capable of insulting people who don't agree with you. Kind of like a schoolyard bully. Perhaps the big words you like to use make you feel big.

And what's with the patronising? Who are yo to call me Kid or Bright??????? I probably have the same education as you, actualy probably better since I'm a lot younger and we both do the same day job except I don't work for delta so I wouldn't be so quick to look down on others.

I think you thrive on conflict and we are worse for reacting.

Now I'm officially done with this thread. Chow.
and
Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #96
Mick.Ire
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Some people make me laugh they only see themselves as insulted... never have they been insulting... like telling someone they are not keeping there animals properly... it would do you well to remember who gave you advice on your new star tortoise.
And I appreciate it so much...... truely, thank you and Ed. He seems to be thriving now...........Your right, I got insulted and reacted in the same way and I shouldn't have. When someone asked what Language I understand or questions my education and age it did get to me. I reacted and my last post was a bit harsh. I apologise and it should never have gotten off topic and personal.

It's the tortoises we care about at the end of the day..

I'll leave ye with a pic of some of the gang feeding today.
1.5.5 Hinge-backs,
1.0.0 Yellow Foot,
1.0.0 Indian Star
0.1.0 Pancake.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #97
EJ
Adult

Very classy post and very nice looking Hingebacks. Those are impossible to get in the states.
and
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #98
Mick.Ire
Hatched

Cheers Ed, I know I shouldn't have a favourite but Hinges will always hold a special place in my heart.
Probably because the female on the right with the stretched out neck is nearly as old as me so I grew up with her.
I didn't know they weren't available easily in the states, I wonder why? They're not common here but if you look hard enough you will find one.
1.5.5 Hinge-backs,
1.0.0 Yellow Foot,
1.0.0 Indian Star
0.1.0 Pancake.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #99
EJ
Adult

They've been banned from import due to the ticks they carry. I had a Bells that I got as an adoption... loved it.

They can import Spekii since they were elavated to full species.

Those are wonderful looking animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.Ire View Post
Cheers Ed, I know I shouldn't have a favourite but Hinges will always hold a special place in my heart.
Probably because the female on the right with the stretched out neck is nearly as old as me so I grew up with her.
I didn't know they weren't available easily in the states, I wonder why? They're not common here but if you look hard enough you will find one.
and
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #100
Mick.Ire
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Those are some stunning tortoises...

I'm sorry if i was abit harsh to... just gets me when people can't always see their own wrong doing's... none of us are perfect.
Nah you were right.
Cheers and night.
1.5.5 Hinge-backs,
1.0.0 Yellow Foot,
1.0.0 Indian Star
0.1.0 Pancake.