Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 23-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #61
EJ
Adult

No... all those reports are probably true but taken out of context... That is... they represent one side of the story. I really don't want to take the time to present the other side of the story that many keepers go for the rare or uncommon tortoises for the challenge and not the money.

I know keepers who litterally give away Radiateds and similar high profile tortoises that they produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATURALIS View Post
so are you saying that all those report's are fiction ??
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #62
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
No... all those reports are probably true but taken out of context... That is... they represent one side of the story. I really don't want to take the time to present the other side of the story that many keepers go for the rare or uncommon tortoises for the challenge and not the money.

I know keepers who litterally give away Radiateds and similar high profile tortoises that they produce.
I've made my point !!! , that's all.
Old 23-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #63
EJ
Adult

... You have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATURALIS View Post
I've made my point !!! , that's all.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #64
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You get folks who are up in arms about wild caught animals being sold and kept as pets then the next minute they are off down the chippy for a fish supper of wild caught haddock mmmmmmmmmmmm

salt and sauce or salt and vinegar? S+V for me

Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #65
boxman
Egg

Having just read through all 7 pages of this thread I would like to make a point. We are all assuming that if we leave them in the wild they will be safe. Many turtles and tortoises would be collected anyway, and used as a food item if not collected subsequently for the pet trade.
It is also the destruction of their habitat which leaves these animals nowhere to go. Leaving them in the wild will ensure their eventual extinction from habitat loss and human predation.
Unless the loss of habitat is reversed, then it makes sense to 'Noah's Ark' endangered species unless we are happy to see their loss to the biosphere. Whilst I am not happy about the indescriminate import of large numbers of tortoises, I do consider that some collection should occur, in line with loss of habitat. If a local habitat has value, it might just be preserved (a tenuous hope).
It seems a mixed up world that in many states of the US the keeping of box tortoises is restricted if not banned, and yet they are seen locally of so little worth that they are regularly run over on the roads.
Is there an easy answer, of course not, but sweeping generalised banning of WC collecting will not help.
boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #66
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxman View Post
Having just read through all 7 pages of this thread I would like to make a point. We are all assuming that if we leave them in the wild they will be safe. Many turtles and tortoises would be collected anyway, and used as a food item if not collected subsequently for the pet trade.
It is also the destruction of their habitat which leaves these animals nowhere to go. Leaving them in the wild will ensure their eventual extinction from habitat loss and human predation.
Unless the loss of habitat is reversed, then it makes sense to 'Noah's Ark' endangered species unless we are happy to see their loss to the biosphere. Whilst I am not happy about the indescriminate import of large numbers of tortoises, I do consider that some collection should occur, in line with loss of habitat. If a local habitat has value, it might just be preserved (a tenuous hope).
It seems a mixed up world that in many states of the US the keeping of box tortoises is restricted if not banned, and yet they are seen locally of so little worth that they are regularly run over on the roads.
Is there an easy answer, of course not, but sweeping generalised banning of WC collecting will not help.
I agree but think numbers should be restricted and only to keen breeders and hopefully in generations after reintroduction to the wild through nature reserves.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote