Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 03-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Default A basket full of torts

This is how I get the torts out into the garden each morning through the summer. I have a basket for the females and the males all share one too, wrapped up in their individual towels to prevent any nipping or ramming.

It has been wonderful having a proper tort room for their time indoors. It's hard to get a photo of all the tables and the room expands back further than the door. When we moved house last year the torts were a huge priority and turning what was a dressing room into a tort room was high on hubby's to-do list for me, bless him.

The room keeps the ambient temperature consistent and it's nice and cosy in the evenings for them too, so no need for extra heating or CHE's anymore.
I've been meaning to take photos for well over a year.

I'm already planning for next summer. Theo and Atticus will be getting new larger outdoor enclosures and I'm hoping we'll have some good weather.
Here's some of them outside this year:

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

EMMY ! we need photos ! quiiiick ! resend ! CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
This is how I get the torts out into the garden each morning through the summer. I have a basket for the females and the males all share one too, wrapped up in their individual towels to prevent any nipping or ramming.

It has been wonderful having a proper tort room for their time indoors. It's hard to get a photo of all the tables and the room expands back further than the door. When we moved house last year the torts were a huge priority and turning what was a dressing room into a tort room was high on hubby's to-do list for me, bless him.

The room keeps the ambient temperature consistent and it's nice and cosy in the evenings for them too, so no need for extra heating or CHE's anymore.
I've been meaning to take photos for well over a year.

I'm already planning for next summer. Theo and Atticus will be getting new larger outdoor enclosures and I'm hoping we'll have some good weather.
Here's some of them outside this year:

Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Wow what lovely pictures, I love your tort room, I'm properly jelouse you really do have a lot of beautiful torts. How many now ?

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

beautiful tortoises Emma, what a little creep or two !!!! Loving the outdoor photo graphs and wow your indoor set up is fantastic - wish I could do that!! loving all the wood and colour, names.

What a lovely life they must have with you and the menagerie. CB
Old 04-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
EMMY ! we need photos ! quiiiick ! resend ! CB
I didn't realise they weren't showing up as they were when I posted. What's happened as I can see them now. Did you manage to do something to them CB or maybe it was the photohosting site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Wow what lovely pictures, I love your tort room, I'm properly jelouse you really do have a lot of beautiful torts. How many now ?
Thanks Suze. Having a tort room was something of dreams but when we bought this place and it had a dressing room, I knew I was going to rip it all out. Wardrobes do just fine for me. I'd much rather have a tort room!
There are sixteen of them. I was done at twelve but then a certain someone knew of some hercs needing a new home.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
beautiful tortoises Emma, what a little creep or two !!!! Loving the outdoor photo graphs and wow your indoor set up is fantastic - wish I could do that!! loving all the wood and colour, names.

What a lovely life they must have with you and the menagerie. CB
Thank you Clare. Hubby made all the tables. One of the treble bunks moved with us. The other was a double and hubby turned it into a triple, the long one at the back was purpose built to fit the room. He got massive brownie points last summer.

I hope they have a lovely life. I do my best for them. The wooden names were just fun to do - I bought the wooden letters and then painted them up myself and glued them on the tables. I still need to do the long ones.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 04-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

Wonderful tortoise room and great tortoises - lucky you!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Wonderful tortoise room and great tortoises - lucky you!
Aww...thanks, Mary. I have to admit I have pinched myself a few times as I never imagined I'd have a tort room. Then again, I never imagined having 16 torts!
Hubby thought we were done at 4!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

I just love the photo of them all in the basket and the one where three of them are lined up eating - so polite! A tort room too, how exciting. It must be a full time job.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I just love the photo of them all in the basket and the one where three of them are lined up eating - so polite! A tort room too, how exciting. It must be a full time job.
Don't believe it, Jan!! They often pile up one on top of the other to get their share!!
I have their care as part of my morning routine and then I just pop by and enjoy them for the rest of the day. It's hard not to just sit and observe them as they're always so entertaining.
My in-laws met the new additions yesterday when they came for lunch. Their faces were a picture when they tried guessing how many there are. It's weird as 16 is a few I admit, but I know many on here have got or had so many more. But it's a nice even number. Luckily my daughter is excellent at caring for them too so when I was unwell, she just takes over.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Gordon
Adult

So now you have lots of hercs is there going to be a breeding program next year.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote