Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 15-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
burnt toast
Adult

Lovely to see them Emma. I have just ordered a lot of seeds and im wondering if to take advantage of this warm weather, throw them down, water well, give them a headstart or if to wait until Autumn?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
I would say that Budgie is a boy as the cere is so blue. Will you be getting him a friend as they really do flourish when with others? Pretty little thing though.
Apparently the white rings around the nares indicate female and they only get brown ceres when they're in the breeding mood. I had budgies for years, only one female previously, but I've read up a lot and been informed by plenty of people it's a female. I just wanted a budgie, the gender was irrelevant, but the white circles are certainly very visible around the nostrils. I always thought a blue cere indicates male but I've been well-educated recently and young males display pinkish/purple Ceres whilst females are blue/white. I'm sure time will tell but I'm content she's female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Wow Emma you have worked hard, those enclosures are looking fantastic, and all the animals look well settled. Well done.
Thanks Suze. It's been busy but the tort room and enclosures are all done, phew! Now I'm hoping the sun continues to shine to make up for the time they missed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
fantastic Emma. What fabulous photographs, really enjoyed looking at them. I always get ideas from other people and it is so nice to see your Tortoises again. You must have worked so hard to get the enclosures all up and ready for summer. I love Gaia but my fav must be Popcorn ! how pampered is she! Love her run CB
Yup, pretty shattered with so much going on, but the torts were a priority and I'll be so pleased to see the enclosures mature next year.
Popcorn is such a princess and she knows it. Her new run is just perfect for her as she spends less time outside now she's older. She squeaks as soon as she knows her fresh veggies are on their way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Enjoyed all the photos.

Gaia is such a beautiful shade of blue.

Over the summer, do you bring the torts in if particularly cold? It was just 10 degrees in the outbuilding this morning. I have put the ceramic lamp on each night and they do seem to be under this or close by, so assuming they like the warmth.
Thanks Jan. Yes, the torts come in every night. I don't leave them out even though they have anti-tunnel skirts around their enclosures to prevent anything digging in. I just like them indoors for security reasons. They have their own room now which keeps nice and warm. The temps are starting to drop at night already, even after a lovely warm day.

Gaia has 4 different shades of blue and is so pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
I'm a bit disappointed. I want to see some tree frogs. Lol
I'll get some photos up of them tomorrow. They belong to my eldest two, as do the geckos. Lovely characters though and so comical in the evenings.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Lovely to see them Emma. I have just ordered a lot of seeds and im wondering if to take advantage of this warm weather, throw them down, water well, give them a headstart or if to wait until Autumn?
Thanks Lynn. I know, it's tempting isn't it? I'm going to stick with my tried and tested method and wait until the Autumn. They seem to do well with the cold of winter and then sprout madly in the spring, so I'm hoping the same will happen. It feels funny starting with new enclosures but I'm hoping plenty of weeds will establish before next summer.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 16-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
emma_mcraf
Adult

For Craig:

Tiko the White's Tree Frog

Stevie the European Tree Frog

Old 16-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
Anyfoot
Incubating

Wow, they look amazing. What do they eat?
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
emma_mcraf
Adult

Crickets mainly, but they can eat moths, flies, waxworms, etc.
The geckos love crickets, locusts, waxworms, etc.
Boys stuff. They sort out the live food and it's great to watch them eat.

Old 17-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

cutest frogs! nice photographs too. I miss the sound of the ribbet. or is that toads? do they talk Emma?
Old 17-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #18
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
cutest frogs! nice photographs too. I miss the sound of the ribbet. or is that toads? do they talk Emma?
Tiko the male White's calls - it's more of a quack.

Old 17-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

oh that's not good cause there is an old wives tale...if it quacks? I suppose that excludes frogs but includes every other feasible aspect of philosophy and life. I have answered my own question ! I think...still cute , CB
Old 17-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
emma_mcraf
Adult

I've got this as an example. He's quite loud and loves to join in when the hoover's on especially.
Thank goodness we've only got one!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huRznTMiF9U

Oh and he also screams! Seriously, he's jumped before when a cricket has jumped out in front of him and he screams like you wouldn't believe. Thank goodness he's in my son's bedroom and not mine!!