Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 15-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Default My Gang

We've been busy creating new enclosures for the torts this year. They're bigger than what they had previously and all the females are finally sharing a great 'L-shaped' enclosure, so I'm loving them being all together.
The plants need to mature a bit more yet but I know they quickly do and in a month or so I'll be sowing weed seeds and covering the enclosures for the winter in readiness for next spring. In the meantime it's great having them outside enjoying this glorious summer.

The females:

The males have got a larger enclosure each too.
Theo still has his beloved carex - I always know where to find him.

Oliver:

Oscar:

Hugo has a very similar enclosure too. He's been camera-shy so no piccie of him sunning himself. I'm sure he's a vampire as he much prefers to be in his little shelter than out basking.

Our old piggy has a new enclosure too. We'd cut the legs down on her hutch a few months ago and now she hops in and out when she wants. Her legs aren't as strong but her appetite is as good as ever. We weren't sure how she'd be when Cookie passed away but here we are 10 months on and she's doing well.

We've taken a few metres off the end of the chicken run since the flock has depleted. Emilia is currently going through a moult so plenty of feathers everywhere. Last year Beatrice lost enough feathers to stuff a pillow!
You can see the animal pebbles we paint for every pet when we get them. They then become nice memorial stones when they pass away, but it's lovely to see them all lined up.

I need to paint a new one soon as we've welcomed a new feathered friend into the family. This is Gaia:

She's 10 weeks old and has settled in beautifully.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Wow, looks great Emma. My Jerry loves those Carex type grasses. He often beds down beneath them. I think they must hold the heat from the day really well. You're right, the seeds will soon peep through. I think the key is to sow lots to allow for the tort(s) eating the shoots..
Lots of happy pets there.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks Keith. I usually find that when I sow the seeds and cover with plastic sheets for the winter we end up with plenty of weeds in the spring, so I'm hoping the same will happen in their new enclosures. Not that I'm wishing the summer away, but it's always good to plan ahead for next year.
The carex plants are great - definitely a favourite with mine.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 15-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Anyfoot
Incubating

Looks excellent Emma. Nice to see how others do it in the uk. Do you hibernate your torts through winter?
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

No, I overwinter them. They don't know any different and are pretty alert and perky. They've just all moved into a tort room just for them, rather than be spread about the home in different rooms, so that will help to maintain temps especially through the colder nights.

Old 15-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

I would say that Budgie is a boy as the cere is so blue. Will you be getting him a friend as they really do flourish when with others? Pretty little thing though.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Wow Emma you have worked hard, those enclosures are looking fantastic, and all the animals look well settled. Well done.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

fantastic Emma. What fabulous photographs, really enjoyed looking at them. I always get ideas from other people and it is so nice to see your Tortoises again. You must have worked so hard to get the enclosures all up and ready for summer. I love Gaia but my fav must be Popcorn ! how pampered is she! Love her run CB
Old 15-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

Enjoyed all the photos.

Gaia is such a beautiful shade of blue.

Over the summer, do you bring the torts in if particularly cold? It was just 10 degrees in the outbuilding this morning. I have put the ceramic lamp on each night and they do seem to be under this or close by, so assuming they like the warmth.
Old 15-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Anyfoot
Incubating

I'm a bit disappointed. I want to see some tree frogs. Lol
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote