Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
Stellanne
Hatchling

I think you are right CB. I have done this in the past and things have worked out ok. We hear a lot of 'torts knowing best' with feeding and other stuff, yet seem to want to control hibernation and post hibernation.
I have six torts up now.......ok I am bathing everyday, but do wonder if they need it. None have lost weight and look bright eyed and are nibbling their weeds..... But as you say, temps are very low. X x x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

Crikey Stellanne, you are good with the bathing. I bathe the spurs once a week, if that and only if they've been under the lamps. The Horsfields , do you know what not sure i've bather them in 20 odd years in or out of hibernation, but water is available of course. Even my over winterers I only bathe every few days - prevenation is better than cure of course. you do very well ! I cant be doing with the fridge method personally, makes me far too nervous.
Old 20-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Well people 'hibernate' them in garages etc so not really much difference there. I've read of people's torts come up in February on a sunny day and go back down again for weeks. I don't like the whole fridge hibernation thing as the torts have no control over that at all, they can't come out the fridge if they want to but if other people want to do it that way it's up to them. Who's to say what's best. An article here (anything on the internet could be nonsense of course) details some differences between hibernation (mammals) and brumation (reptiles) http://infinitespider.com/hibernatin...ts-difference/ and I think it may have been Egyptian Dan who said once that torts brumate and not hibernate. As I say, mine made an appearance on mild days in December but went back into inactive mode when colder
very interesting hyperlink, can see the sense in it.
Old 20-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Jan W
Sub Adult

Alan - thanks for the web site. I am really interested in the brumation as my torts behaviour, in spite of heat and light has been a little bit like this since they came out of hibernation, albeit in their indoor pen. They seem to be reacting to the outside temperatures, so very odd. I was also interested to read on the site that they may drink water during this time. I have to admit I put them in a large container for their hibernation so they could move if they wanted to and I put a small bowl of water in the corner. I don't think they ever touched it though. One did not appear to move at all and the other only seemed to move a few centimetres until they both woke up on the same day - 8 weeks later and it was still cold.
Old 21-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

yep mine at still in state of sleep today also. I didn't even bother with food. The heat lamps ignored....CB