Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
while I agree with your temps I would not want to be party to queerying the TT's one, if you wish to write your own hibernation sheet/post then I'm sure you'll get more replys. Hibernation usually developes into long threads on here and many are interested and will have an input but without the mention of the TT or any other forum. I suggest if you wish to write to vets etc that you do your own sheet without a mention of the TT I'm sorry but I really think you'd possibly be opening yourself to a liable suit and its not worth it when it all boils down to possible misunderstanding of wording. This thread isn't your own thoughts or questions on temps and hibernation while you continually mention the TT, start another thread without them and you'll get a much better response. As it stands any vet or rspca etc refering to the TT could do a lot worse and there aren't many as well known or supported in much of their work.
Just to let you know the TT are happy to pick faults with other groups including their hibernation guides.
The Three Counties Tortoises Group comes to mind, I believe they just sorted out and edited the minor error.
If a guide has an error we should be able to point it out, with out fear of liable suits.
If no one is willing or allowed to question advise they disagree with then I think that is rather sad.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #22
Geomyda
Adult

As another victim recent victim of the editorial control of dear old AH, I do have some sympathy with Levi. His questions, back in April appeared to be argued in a cogent manner and to many reasonable minded individuals in the hobby, were not controversial.
Quite recently, yet another TTMember, Arcadia has argued in a similar manner on the forum.

For the record, my own apparent misdemeanour, was defending another TT forum member whom had been rebuked for claiming the Tortoise Trust was a business.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #23
delitrav
Egg

Default Hybernation

I think its a fair question to ask, i personally think 5-7 degrees but im no expert and its just my opinion. Whether you have been a member of SW for a long time or not surely you have the right to ask a question? I do not use the TT as i asked a simple question once and i got nothing but grief from it, i only use this site as i get all the help i need and its friendly

Kate
delitrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
Watermelon
Adult

As a new tortoise owner I found the TT website very helpful but as I also started to read elsewhere I realised how dated the TT website is.

I started a thread on xxxxxxxx xxxxx asking the members on there use vivs when TT says theye bad, no one was mad at me for it they just answered my question and gave their opinions on vivs. It was a very similar thread in a way to this.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #25
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
while I agree with your temps I would not want to be party to queerying the TT's one, if you wish to write your own hibernation sheet/post then I'm sure you'll get more replys. Hibernation usually developes into long threads on here and many are interested and will have an input but without the mention of the TT or any other forum. I suggest if you wish to write to vets etc that you do your own sheet without a mention of the TT I'm sorry but I really think you'd possibly be opening yourself to a liable suit and its not worth it when it all boils down to possible misunderstanding of wording. This thread isn't your own thoughts or questions on temps and hibernation while you continually mention the TT, start another thread without them and you'll get a much better response. As it stands any vet or rspca etc refering to the TT could do a lot worse and there aren't many as well known or supported in much of their work.
What is a liable suit
Old 20-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

my spelling is rubbish but I'm sure the meaning is right
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #27
ibizathetort
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
What is a liable suit
Trousers and jacket that is obligated...

Libel suit
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
my spelling is rubbish but I'm sure the meaning is right
You probably meant to say: Libel Writ?
However, the real issue in this thread, is not a case of Libel, it is an important point of clarification, in a widely read and respected husbandry guide. the fact is, this guide/ book, is now translated into Dutch and Italian, therefore corrections in text and context should where necessary be amended to reflect a more accurate sense?
With a wider reading audience, all the more reason to be understanding of the observations made by posts such as appear on this thread.
As for falling foul of the arbitrary editorial control exercised by TT forum, this can be more accurately likened to an excommunication from a holy order;in my opinion of course. something akin to the "Spanish inquisition".
Old 20-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
Pussygalore
Adult

right or wrong I still feel the TT's forum and site should be where this should be talked about or questioned not on here where they aren't here to answer and having had a look on the site they have already said that the subject will be rewritten (or words to that effect) I'd imagine that changing any sheets/publications (if poss) isn't something that can be done over night, and isn't that all this is? a question of wording and that I assume most tort keepers who have got as far as hibernating wouldn't read wrong anyway. Its very hard to write a caresheet that can't be misread by the dimmest of readers, there's always someone who thinks different, I know that by my caresheet sent out for my hatchlings, there's always one who doesn't understand the simplest of things, or who asks the question that I thought I'd covered.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #30
ibizathetort
Adult

Quote:
right or wrong I still feel the TT's forum and site should be where this should be talked about or questioned not on here where they aren't here to answer and having had a look on the site they have already said that the subject will be rewritten (or words to that effect) I'd imagine that changing any sheets/publications (if poss) isn't something that can be done over night, and isn't that all this is? a question of wording and that I assume most tort keepers who have got as far as hibernating wouldn't read wrong anyway. Its very hard to write a caresheet that can't be misread by the dimmest of readers, there's always someone who thinks different, I know that by my caresheet sent out for my hatchlings, there's always one who doesn't understand the simplest of things, or who asks the question that I thought I'd covered.
Fair point
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote