Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Not sure if she wants to lay eggs

My biggest female horsfield is sitting in a hole she has dug with her back legs this morning. My male has been trying it on occasionally so it's possible she might have eggs. This is something I have no idea about but the area does not have a lot of soil in it. Should I leave her to it or add a pile of soil to the area for her? I don't want to upset her if that is what she is doing and it could just be she fancied digging I suppose but want to do the right thing for her just incase. Also if she does lay I don't have an incubator. How long would I have to get one after he lays? Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheryl
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
alley cat
Adult

If she is digging with her back legs then it is likely she wants to lay, I would leave her for a bit and if she abandons the nest then maybe add some more soil, it needs to be warm and damp, a light above it will help too
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

This is the same position I was in yesterday Cheryl. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68075

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
kazzabb
Hatched

Hi Cheryl, if you haven't got an incubator, and want one, then you could always look on Preloved, Gumtree, Ebay etc, to see if you can get a 2nd hand one, but if it's an ex-chicken or bird hatching one, you need to make sure you can dis-able the turner facility, and make sure it can go up to 32 degrees, some of the ones I looked at didn't. If you've got a reptile shop near you, ask if they know of anyone who normally incubates their reptiles eggs, but who isn't at the moment, as they might rent/lend you their incubator. Ask your vet if they know anyone who might lend you one. Alternatively, try to find out if there are any chicken farms near you or bird breeders/pidgeon fanciers etc.
I got a Hovabator off ebay and it arrived the next day which is a relief as mine laid the day the incubator arrived. If you phone the incubator shop they can send you one by overnight courier, they are not cheap though. It seems everyone's torts are laying like mad this year.
Good luck, Karen
Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
cherylahutch
Adult

Thanks guys she has left the area so to speak, she is munching away at some food at the moment so I've added some warm damp soil in a heap for her. The area is pretty near the heat lamp so should be warm anyway. Just have to see what she does. I'm not 100%sure that's what she was doing because it was during the night but least she has a bit more soil to dig in. If she does lay are the eggs ok at room temperature for a day or so while I get an incubator? I might have a look on eBay and get one just in case then least I have one for the future even if she doesn't lay this time.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
This is the same position I was in yesterday Cheryl. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68075
I had a read of this very exciting stuff hope you get some lovely babies. :0)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
I had a read of this very exciting stuff hope you get some lovely babies. :0)
Just one egg but I'm hoping it'll be fertile and will incubate safely. Very exciting.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
cherylahutch
Adult

Padmae has been digging again this morning. Same spot she dug away for about an hour or so they sat in the hole with her head popping out they wandered alway for some food. I've put a bit more warm damp soil in that side of the house for her in case she does want to lay. Does that sound like what she is upto or is she just having a dig about for fun?
Old 17-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

How big is she again?

Danny
Old 17-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
How big is she again?