Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 17-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1
Default twin hatchling

Hi i haven't posted on here for a very long time, but some of you may know me already.

On monday we took the decision to open up an overdue egg which looked a bit funny inside, after convincing ourselves something wasn't quite right and what we found was not expected.

There was down one end of the egg a very large egg yolk, taking up most of the egg. The yolk was not attached to anything at all. Down the other end of the egg was a very tiny hatchling with an almost completely absorbed yolk. She was obviously too weak to get out of the egg herself, not to mention the other yolk obstacle she faced. On weighing this little one, she is only 6 grams!

So, i am assuming this egg started off as a twin, and the second never developed?

Now we left the little on in the incubator until today, getting her out only to bath her twice a day. This morning we put her in a small tray under a heat lamp. She is moving her legs and head, and opening her eyes, however is not walking at all. She will just stay wherever she is put. I am assuming this is because she is so small and it is still very early days. She is having a bath twice a day with a few drops of baby vitamins in.

Now my questions are...
Has anyone else got any similar experience?
Any advice on what to do to help this little one?
Should i put her back into the incubator at night time or would it be better for her to just keep her in a warm room?
Any advice greatly appreciated!

some pictures

the other yolk

and her today, (day 3)
Old 17-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

She is gorgeous and so small.
I thought my hatchlings were small at 8g

Hope someone can offer advice soon.. Good luck with her x
Old 17-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thank goodness you opened the egg. She is so teeny and I really hope she has some more fighting spirit to get herself up and about soon.
Fingers crossed everything works out. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
wigwamman
Juvenile

i wish you the best of luck with this one,i think you should treat this youngster as a premature baby and give loads of tlc,put him back into the incubator until the egg sac is absorbed and he is more mobile.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Oh Jemma shes gorgeous! I think I would keep her in the incubator especially in view of current weather, & well hydrated. Good luck with her.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

Just beautiful so pleased you opened the egg. Hope your special little one does really well.
Old 18-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

I agree, treat her like a premature baby, I'm not an expert but I would of thought keep her in the incubator for a few days and well hydrated, good luck.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1

well she went back in the incubator last night and has been back under the heat lamp in her small tray for about half an hour this morning. she has started to shuffle herself around now and after watching her take bites at the air i offered her some food and she is nibbling on a leaf now So happy she has progressed so much in 1 day. I am going to keep up the baths and put her back in the incubator at night times i think. thanks for the help so far x
Old 18-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
cherylahutch
Adult

That's fantastic news keep us up to date with progress so happy for you
Old 18-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Fred123
Hatched

What a little fighter. So cute and already making huge progress. I think you are doing everyhthing I would do. Well done
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote