Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
*laura*

Default Chipmunks

hey guys...

im thinking of getting my boyfriend 2 chipmunks for christmas... i know im a bit early, but if im gonna get them i need to start planning hehe...i was just wondering are they easy to look after?, what they eat?, what sort of cage they live in etc??

any advice would be much appreciated! thanx
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
DAISY
Adult

I find my chippies really easy to care for.
I have 3 which live in a 6x6x3ft enclosure. Lots of things to climb and play with, a nest box each and a litter tray which they use which makes cleaning easier. Just keep popping a few poos in it everday and they soon get the idea.
I give the cage a quick tidy and dust down daily and a full clean weekly. They tend to sleep at night so I do my cleans in the evening and they dont even wake up to see me, well apart from one who will run all over me as I'm trying to tidy.They are not smelly animals
They are not handleable like a guinea pig or rat and prefer to come to you. Very entertaining to watch. Never grab one, very painful bite. if you do let them out it has to be in a very secure room as they will find the smallest hiding place. Food and bribery is the key to taming and it doesnt take long to have them eating out of your hand.
Not expensive to keep once you have paid initial set up.
Mine eat bagged chipmunk food, fruit ,veg, salad, same flowers and weeds as torts if you want, egg occasionaly. Infact they will eat most everything, crust of your toast, tiny piece of biscuit, but certainly not on a regular basis. Not too much fresh food per day, not good for their tummys.
Try and get one from a breeder who has handled them from a young age, makes the job easier. Expect to pay around £25 per chipmunk.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
*laura*

thats excellant advice thanx, i been trying to locate breeders in my area but am failing at the moment... some more research is in store i think,lol, i have plenty of time anyways hehe!

thanx again
Old 07-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
DAISY
Adult

I picked up one of my chippies from a breeder in wales.
I will have a dig around and see if I can find the contact info for you.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

hiya, am not sure if your interested in traveling or anything but i know a place that has chipmunks fpr rehoming in case your interested in ffering some a new home.

pm me if you are and will give you the details

cheers
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
*laura*

i have PM'D you wildlifewarrior.

Rach that would also be great if you could find out the details for me i have had a little look on the internet, but im gonna have to have a better one i think
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
DAISY
Adult

Here is a link to the chipmunk website where I got one of mine from.
Based in wales somewhere, the fella was very helpful and his chippies very tame.
http://pic6.piczo.com/xground-squirrelx/?g=1#