Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 07-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
Suze65
Adult

Super fantastic green house , that's what I want to do across my smal garden, with planting around the edges , so it's good for the torts and good for us too. Love it, hope you don't mind, but I've saved that pic for my tort enclosure reference file! How nerdy am I !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Super fantastic green house , that's what I want to do across my smal garden, with planting around the edges , so it's good for the torts and good for us too. Love it, hope you don't mind, but I've saved that pic for my tort enclosure reference file! How nerdy am I !
Suze, I have a 'Dream Tort Enclosure' file too!!! Whenever I see good ideas I add them to my file, mainly in the hope I'm going to strike it lucky and live in a big house with a huge garden one day!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Suze, I have a 'Dream Tort Enclosure' file too!!! Whenever I see good ideas I add them to my file, mainly in the hope I'm going to strike it lucky and live in a big house with a huge garden one day!!
Hahaha that's my dream too, I dream of a lovely big garden with four fabulous enclosures, all beautifully planted, specially for the torts, with sheds and greenhouses, oh it would so lovely , dream on lol

Old 07-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #14
Suze65
Adult

This is my tortoise Garden and my garden too, so it needs to be useable for all of us, so I thought I would get rid of the scrappy bit of grass and replace it with paving and gravel with suitable planting around the edge for the torts and between the paving, and it will be good for the torts and us and look pretty. A bit like the picture in this thread.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

I love your garden, especially the table and chair - what a beautiful colour.
I'm lucky that we have a wraparound garden, which has been separated into different areas - the side path and weed patch, the patio and lawn, the kids log cabin and then the animal area, with tort enclosures, guinea pig enclosure and chicken run. It's nice because if you sat on the patio having a meal you'd have no idea there's a little zoo around the corner.
I still dream of having a much bigger garden though....so I could have a couple of Aldabra!!
It's good to have dreams....they do often come true!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
wow that's really kind of you and Emma. I think your garden is lovely Suze. Full of character, love the colour and very very tortoise appealing ! I do most of all my plants in pots it is just easier that way and I remember Monty Don saying don't always put things in corners where you would traditionally so I place stuff all over the place and at angles so the torts have to walk past, over and around them.
That little pot in front of the football is where Patina Apple goes to get away from the girls so works for her too !
Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #17
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
wow that's really kind of you and Emma. I think your garden is lovely Suze. Full of character, love the colour and very very tortoise appealing ! I do most of all my plants in pots it is just easier that way and I remember Monty Don saying don't always put things in corners where you would traditionally so I place stuff all over the place and at angles so the torts have to walk past, over and around them.
That little pot in front of the football is where Patina Apple goes to get away from the girls so works for her too !
I have a lot of plants in pots too. Your hostas look great. Mine are just about to flower.
Is that a cordyline in the blue pot? We bought one 15 years ago and planted it in the ground. It's now a huge palm tree! We thought it'd stay 'shrub' sized along with our dwarf conifers, hebes and azaleas.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I have a lot of plants in pots too. Your hostas look great. Mine are just about to flower.
Is that a cordyline in the blue pot? We bought one 15 years ago and planted it in the ground. It's now a huge palm tree! We thought it'd stay 'shrub' sized along with our dwarf conifers, hebes and azaleas.
yes ! I put one in the ground and it is bigger than a Christmas tree too ! - hence why I now put them in pots ! And ferns love ferns. The way they unravel. Hostas are fab too - mine eat them but not sure they should really. Glad Mattjstar said they can eat hollyhocks cause first time this year. Pappa Un hovered up digitalis flowers too the other day and not sure about those either but he loved them. First time seen eaten. I try and get plants that lean over too like lavertera in pots.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
yes ! I put one in the ground and it is bigger than a Christmas tree too ! - hence why I now put them in pots ! And ferns love ferns. The way they unravel. Hostas are fab too - mine eat them but not sure they should really. Glad Mattjstar said they can eat hollyhocks cause first time this year. Pappa Un hovered up digitalis flowers too the other day and not sure about those either but he loved them. First time seen eaten. I try and get plants that lean over too like lavertera in pots.
Your hard work really pays off as your garden is fabulous. I have all my ferns in pots too and they look so green, fresh and lush every summer.
I've had no joy in trying to grow Hollyhocks from seed. I've grown Lavatera too but they're not flowering yet. Everything seems a bit slower this year. My Petunias are only just starting, as are my lillies on the patio and my Hydrangea has just one flowerhead so far, whereas it was fully in bloom this time last year. Still, I love gardening and planning ahead.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

I know ! plants & weeds fantastic - Love ferns ! I know they can not eat them (or not interested), but a couple of mine do sit under them sometimes in the cool.

[IMG][/IMG]