Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 25-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
babybee
Egg

Default Having to wait now :(

I have come back from a hospital appointment today very disappointed.

11 weeks ago i was diagnosed with a brain tumor, all from a routine eye test (was admitted to hospital that day and had 12 hour surgery 4 days later). Operation was successful and i have all faculties still in place (well, i think so anyway )

I had been thinking of getting torts for a couple of years and finally made up my mind to get 2 redfoots. I have the table and all the equipment set up and was hoping to see piglet weekend after next to collect them.

However, hospital told me today that i still have 20% of tumor left (straight after op was told about 1%) which is all tangled around my optic nerve and i will need a course of radiotherapy to get rid of it.

Now i can't get my torts as i know radiotherapy will be tough and it is not fair to get new companions if i am not feeling up for the job for their correct care. I'm just so upset. I am so looking forward to having the torts but the radio will start end of october, i hope, and finish in december, then i need to recover form it.

Sorry for rant. I just feel a bit angry with myself and situation, Never thought that i would have brain tumor. I'm only 30, a non drinker, non smoking, non drug taking vegan. GRRRR at life sometimes.

I feels sad as i am so excited about the torts and everyone here has offered such good advice. I even have growing weeds (which i suppose the guine pigs can enjoy)
babybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

bugger me....you ahve had it tough. non smoker and all that.....thats sods law always the healthy people that get ill. just remember there will be torts waiting for you after you get better and just more reason to do more reading up on them lol.

hope the weed your growing is legal...if not am sure some of my local neighbours will buy it off you lol most are out of there head on the stuff anyway

hope ur ok and get well!!!!
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
babybee
Egg

Thanks wildlifewarrior.

Yeah, i'm just feeling down in the dumps. I've had to be signed off work as there is still significant swelling in my brain and the hospital are worried i could have seizures. Can't stand being off work but then agiain if i have a seizure in front of a class of 32 15 year olds it may freak them out a bit!
Was really excited about getting torts but you are right, gives me more time to read up now.

As for the weeds they are strictly tortoise and guinea friendly
babybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

don't mean to be disrescpetful but it's good ur off work, if it was at my old school and a teacher had a fit or seizure then it wud be get ya cam phones out rather than 999 and it wud then be on youtube within the hour lol.

am sure u will be just fine....at least now u have a excuess to watch jeremy kyle lol.

maybe you could adopt a tort at a zoo or santurcy in the mean while

good luck
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
babyboo
Incubating

So sorry to hear you've had such a tough time ,
i've not been posting myself for the last month due to health problems myself and also my husband Chris,
sometimes i wonder why me and its very easy to lose sight of the big picture,
you sound positive and strong and im sure you will come through this,
I wish you a speedy recovery and look foward to seeing pics of your torts when your treatment is over

Boo
babyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

You have had a rough time, but try and be positive, once the treatment has worked and you
up and about feeling great. You can have your tortoises then<g>. Try and be as positive as
you can, it helps recovery a lot faster.
There is no reason why you cant come on here, and learn more. Also to let off steam when
things maybe going slowly. We can all listen, and try to help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
KearasNana
Sub Adult

OMG my heart goes out to you, you have had such a rough time. Keep strong x
Old 26-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
jackjordandylan
Incubating

Is there any way you could still get your tortoises now and whilst you are having the treatment a family member could perhaps take care of them for you? Its so relaxing just sitting watching your tortoise do basically nothing and Im just thinking that perhaps they may help to ease some of the upset and worry at this time, if not then you have something to look forward to whilst your going through your treatment I know how worrying brain tumours are, our family have also had somebody suffer from a brain tumour so I wish you luck with your treatment, you have your age and apart from the tumour, your health on your side, as somebody else has said always remain positive as I think this definately does help with the healing process
I will be thinking of you so please, let us know how your getting on.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
jackjordandylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
niamherrity
Adult

Get yourself back to 100 % then you can enjoy your tortoises, you come first. Sending you my very best wishes for your treatment and I have my fingers crossed for you xxxxxxxxxxxxx
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Lyn
Adult

So sorry to hear this. Big hugs and fingers crossed that your treatment goes well.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote