Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Kristy
Hatched

Default Abscess

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem. Colin has an abcess on his jaw, it's in his mouth just on the side where his 'gum' is. He's been on anti-biotics and painkillers for a week. I thought this was working as the infected area looked drier than before. I took him back to the vet for his follow up last night and the abscess had got slightly bigger, he was kept in overnight (which made me cry!) and today (maybe as I type) he's having an operation to clean it up with anti-biotic wash and take swabs.

The vet said he's pierced the skin and it's become infected. His behaviour has been normal although the vet said it would be painful for him the good thing is that he's been eating ok.

Has anyone else had this problem before and if so was it easy to get rid of?

I'm just worried about him

Oh and does anyone have any advice about his table when he comes home should he just go on his normal soil substrate?

Thanks x x
Old 05-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I hope that Colin is feeling better soon. It maybe worth just putting him onto newspaper, so the soil etc doesnt get into the wound while it is healing.

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Box girl
Sub Adult

I hope your tortoise gets better soon. I have had a few torts with abscesses before and they recover quickly esp as yours is still eating.
I agree paper only until healed and would avoid any fruit as well as the natural suagr can cause further infection.
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
linda
Adult

wishing your tort a speedy recovery

you will need to keep over night temps higher whilst he is on antibiotics
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Chris Ralph
Hatched

I hope he recovers quickly.
I've not had that problem with my tortis fortunaltey but I did with my guinea pig. The vet said it was a piece of hay that pierced his gum. Could Colin have munched on something sharp?
Chris
Chris Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Kristy,

Sending Colin get well soon wishes. Linda made a very good point about keeping night temps up whilst on the antibiotics.

I have kept my tortoises when on antibiotics warm in a shoe box in the airing cupboard over night and put them back under the lamp in the day time.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Box girl
Sub Adult

How did Colin do at the vets? I hope he is feeling better now.
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
jayne2942
Hatchling

I hope Colin is feeling a bit better today,i wish him a speedy recovery, big hug
Jayne
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Kristy
Hatched

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and best wishes.

I've been leaving his light on for longer and going to think of a way to keep him warmer overnight, the room he is in keeps quite warm overnight, but I will try to find a warmer alternative. What would be an ideal overnight temp for him now?

Before it happened I did catch him eating the odd bit of readigrass he's never eaten it before I think he just managed to get a few bits on his food. I've read they can eat it but it does look sharp to me.

He came home yesterday, he's still eating so that's good but running out of tasty foods to put his medicine on.....will have to stop stawberries if the sugar makes it worse.

He's now on three medicines, Marbocyl, Flagyl and Metacam, doesn't feel right pumping him full of all that, plus I'm still very new to all this so it's a bit scary. They don't seem to affect him though.

He's back on Monday for a follow up I just hope it's getting better. It looks darker and less of a 'crater' I'm not sure what I'm looking for really!!

Thanks again everyone any advice is always very welcome!! x x
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
linda
Adult

[
I've been leaving his light on for longer and going to think of a way to keep him warmer overnight, the room he is in keeps quite warm overnight, but I will try to find a warmer alternative. What would be an ideal overnight temp for him now?

dannys advice
A long as your giving antibiotics, 30C day and night is what you want to shoot for
linda is offline   Reply With Quote