Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 29-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Geomyda
Adult

Default Curse of the Ninja Turtles

Next year is the 25th anniversary of the creation of the Comic Strip Characters; Leonardo,Michelangelo,Donatello, & Raphael. Their Creators, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird could not have guessed at the impact of their comic super heroes?
Of course, the Hatchling slider in the Pet trade pre dates this phenomenon, however, the popularity/craze which followed the release of their first block buster film, no doubt was responsible for the infamous Red eared Terrapin population explosion which has left such an unfortuate legacy. Their ban from the trade should have curtailed this problem, but sadly substitute species of even greater dimension and similar life style continue to be retailed to a largely ignorant public.
Would a change in the UK law, similar to the one that now exists in the USA prohibiting the sale of hatchling turtles under 10 cm in the retail trade be a good idea?
A sensible petition, put to government, might make a anniversary present to the trade which might significantly reduce the constant re-home/release problem that exists here in the UK?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Tappers
Incubating

I think a 4" law would be a good idea here too - certainly for imports of the more commonly seen North American turtles.
Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappers View Post
I think a 4" law would be a good idea here too - certainly for imports of the more commonly seen North American turtles.
It is interesting how quiet this thread has been.Perhaps on this forum, the continued and at times pitiful requests to "REHOME MY SLIDER/COOTER", is what everybody wants?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

to be honest I don't think theres many people on SW that keep turtles, or at least not in comparison to torts so its not that people don't care, its a bit like I personally rarely look at the reptile sections as I don't have any , if you went on a turtle web site you wouldn't get that many tort owners would you.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I do read, but I have no experience of turtles, so do not feel qualified to comment, sorry.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Geomyda
Adult

I see, thats why perhaps the most recent requests placed in the Classified section for re-homing Terrapins remain unanswered!
New title for group "Some Shelled Warriors"??
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
sandy
Adult

That seems extreemly rude.
If you know the answers then answer them.
I for one wont answer questions on which I have little knowledge. Turtles are not my thing.
This is a site for anyone to relpy if they know the answers to the questions. Obviously nobody can help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
I see, thats why perhaps the most recent requests placed in the Classified section for re-homing Terrapins remain unanswered!
Im sorry but im VERY offended by what you have said. I know nothing about turtles.

As for Some Shelled Warriors we do a brilliant job getting the correct information out there on how to keep tortoises, we must have helped thousands of people not just members but lurkers also.

So please do not come on here and bring us down.

Some posts dont always get answered on here simply because no one has knowledge of the question asked.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I have 2 YBS and I too may one day need them re-homed. However, I didn't get them from a pet shop, I offered to give them a home (albeit temporary) as the person that had them was not keeping them in anything like the correct conditions i.e they had no filter, no UV. If I hadn't taken them they would have ended up god knows where.

Yes I do disagree with turtles being sold when they are so small, and with inadequate and incomplete advice from pet shops. Perhaps, Geomyda you'd like to start the petition??
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Actually all the Terrapins that have recently come through the SW team (specifically me) have been rehomed to excellent places, so unless you mean private ads then SW are able to rehome turtles.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote