Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 21-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
70ridgeway
Adult

congratulations great photos
70ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
Sylvia1
Adult

What beautiful creatures. It's a privilege to see the 'photos. Thank you.

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Very well done you here's wishing you loads more luck in the future, they're stunning

Bindi
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Huanjie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to Huanjie

Congratulation!!! by the way, are you in China now?
Huanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Geomyda
Adult

Only watching it on Television sadly!
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #16
Huanjie
Incubating

I see. I heard Bristol Zoo recently successfully hatched a Chinese Box turtle.

I am interested that how you got this pair. I want to bring a couple of CB babies from China as well, but don't know the legal procedure. Could you give me some advice?

I don't think they are endangered but indeed the amounts of the species are threatened. Actually, there are loads of CB box turtles produced by turtle/tortoise fans (you guys call local breeder) in China. The situation could be improved. But the wild amounts gradually decline. So the task is still tough.

Last edited by Huanjie; 26-08-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 26-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

As a consequence of the Asian turtle food markets, which are clearly threatening the whole group, most Asian freshwater turtle species have been put onto CITES regulations. To export captive bred babies, you will have to go through CITES protocol, which here in the UK is regulated by DEFRA, based in Bristol. You would also require export permits from the Chinese Government.
In answer to your question of where I got my animals; I have had them for 10/15 years, originally, they were sub adults that were imported into the UK before the CITES rules were in force. Paradoxically, they were probably from the food markets of southern China?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
Huanjie
Incubating

Thank you for your information, I think export CB from China is not suilable for individual person like me.

em.......I have some update information if you want to know. The QingPing market (the most famous and typical wild animal wholesale market in the southern China) in Guangzhou used to be a famous wild animal trading market (for food usage mostly). It sold torts/turtle to restaurant mainly. But now, it's function is much more like pet wholesale market (of course, there are still someone buy them for food usage). Their major customers include turtle/torts farm owner; individual t/t lover and pet shop owner. Sadly, as far as I know most of t/t they sold are still WC. Selling t/t to pet shop can earn much more money than restauant. So the market is changing.

On the other hand, most restaurant now selling red ear only (there are huge amount produced in China every year, at lesat 10 million). this is very cost-efficient.

Because "consuming" WC t/t in the restauant is much faster than keeping them as pets, also there are lots of t/t farm founded in China in the recent 10 years (for both food or pet reasons), and there are more than 1,000,000 t/t fans in China, most of them are making their effort to protect and save those amazing species. So I believe the situation is getting better.

I think it's time to do a detailed research on this issue again. Thank you for saving these Chinese box turtles and successfully got their CB babies. I represent Chinese people to thank you.
Old 15-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
cjdlgc
Egg

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a (possibly male) flavomarginata that I am considering allowing to hibernate outdoors this year for the first time. Can anyone offer advice on this?
cjdlgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
Box girl
Sub Adult

Don't they do not hibernate. Whereabouts in the world are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdlgc View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum and have a (possibly male) flavomarginata that I am considering allowing to hibernate outdoors this year for the first time. Can anyone offer advice on this?

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote