Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I had three male Hermanns sharing a table from about 6 months of age to two and a half. At two years, they started mounting one another but another six months later, they started ramming. They're now all adults and all my males have separate enclosures. The adults will fight regardless of whether a female is in sight or not.
So that's five separate enclosures for them outside. Thank goodness all the females get on and share beautifully!
I dont disagree with hermans, they can do a lot of damage to each other.
But I have not come across this with iberas. Having kept up to three males with seven females.
The same would apply to horsfields too, they are even worse when males together:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
jimothy
Egg

Thank you all for advice.

I have put up some more obstacles and two sets of food. Watching them today they seem quite uninterested in each other so maybe it has helped - too early to tell I suspect. They are really romping around at quite a high speed and seem to be doing all the expected tortoisey things.

My current thinking is that as they are only 9 weeks I will leave in the table for a little longer before ditching it for a new one and hopefully there will be peace on earth at least until they are a bit older.
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
jimothy
Egg

Thank you all for your advice.

Things seem to be going a lot smoother now and although they still do a bit of head-butting each other it is less frequent as far as I can tell. Both of them are putting on weight slowly but steadily 1g about every 2 weeks
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
When you say the look like Iberas does that mean they aren’t spur thighednot just a different type? The species definitions seem quite confusing!

They have been together since hatching in the same table - 4 weeks with the breeder then with us since then. They have a 90x45 cm table to share,the temp is 30-32 at the hot end and 18-20 at the cool end.

Most of the time they avoid/ignore each other but some more barriers i will definitely try and create more privacy with to avoid conflict.

I tried putting down two trays of food yesterday but they both went for the one they were used to but will keep trying.
Hi jimothy
Most of the testudo greaca are known as spurthigh but there are quite a few of them and sometimes telling which one is which can be difficult.
But like sandy says I think yours are testudo greaca ibera.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
Thank you all for your advice.

Things seem to be going a lot smoother now and although they still do a bit of head-butting each other it is less frequent as far as I can tell. Both of them are putting on weight slowly but steadily 1g about every 2 weeks
Their weight gain should be something like 1-3 grms per month to help stop pyramiding:0)
Putting on weight and eating is the most stressful for keepers, as they think their tortoises are starving:0) But they need to put on weight slowly:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

Horsfields are terrific at pecking biting ramming but I did manage to keep 5 males together for many many years without any issues, but once one little one went , Gomez the others seemed to vie for pecking order and sadly I had to part them. lots of good advice on here, if can keep together so they sort out pecking order then that's great at that age, I must admit my two tiny Horsfields are like velociprators at each other - and Gordon BTW I don't even have to clean the old bits of food out like the others cause they are piggy piggy piggy! so sweet , - but the hermanns just sit on one another ...not all that good if you are the smallest of course , CB