Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 22-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
crazy_sailor
Incubating

Cheers for the info. I might try to fabricate some sort of underwater platform/ladder type thing.
1.0.0 Shih Tzu - Diesel
1.0.0 Hermann - Jenson
0.0.2 Musk Turtle - Scran & Spanner
crazy_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

I think that would be a good idea. They can struggle in water that is too deep. Ours of all ages are seen sitting on the plants and wood in their tanks.

If you think of anything else I am happy to help as we do have a few!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Zekee
Egg

I have to agree, the water is far to deep, a solution could be to ditch the tank and use an under ed storage box? Surely the heater will fit in there? Although not aesthetically pleasing it will be much better for them.

Alternatively, you could jam pack the aquarium with as many plants as possible, these can be found rather cheap as "pond oxygenating plants" in fish shops. Musks, as im sure you're aware aren't great swimmers. Providing them places to climb and hang onto is the best way, I've raised a few musks from hatchling to juvi stage, and I can't stress enough how important it is.

My adults aren't even kept in 7" of water, I did try but they seemed to struggle reaching the surface with ease. They really do prefer to climb.
Zekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
crazy_sailor
Incubating

Cheers, the heater I have has to be at about 45 degrees and fully submerged which is determining my minimum depth. I could probably shave about about another inch off the depth though if I reduce the clearances at the top and bottom of the heater.

For infomation their SCL is about 25mm.

I think I will make a multi level submerged platform for them, I like making things too. They seem quite happy though and make good use of the underwater log.
1.0.0 Shih Tzu - Diesel
1.0.0 Hermann - Jenson
Old 22-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Zekee
Egg

As i suggested, you would probably be better jam packing it with plants, underwater structures can pose a drowning risk, we wouldn't want your musk babies drowning. Plants are supple, meaning they are easily escapable from, a big rigid structure wouldn't be. Just a heads up
Old 22-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
crazy_sailor
Incubating

Thank you. There are some plants already in there but I was going to get some more too.
1.0.0 Shih Tzu - Diesel
1.0.0 Hermann - Jenson
Old 22-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Reading back, you say its an enclosed tank - I presume this means the tank has a lid? It would be much better to have no lid at all as it can cause the humidity to build up (you will see the inside of the tank "hurred up and streaming") which can lead to respiratory problems.

To stop an inquisitive dog, we only have the one cat now who is far too old to be interested in any of the birds or animals, you can make a mesh lid on a wooden frame.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
crazy_sailor
Incubating

Its a fish tank. I have modified the lid to accommodate the lighting and it does have pretty good moulded air vents. So far I havent seen any condensation build up. I have also looked at where I can drill/shape vents at the rear and utilise some of the heat from the lighting to induct an airflow through the tank from the large feeding flap in the front.

I'm going to install a hygrometer (spare from my tortoise table) and monitor before I do anything extra. I have had a look but cant find any suggested humidity levels. As they are found naturally pretty much down the entire eastern seaboard I'm not sure which part to try to emulate wrt humidity so I was thinking about 60-80%.
1.0.0 Shih Tzu - Diesel
1.0.0 Hermann - Jenson
Old 22-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
Zekee
Egg

Humidity?

The way I look at it, they aren't enclosed by a "lid" in the wild, you don't need it and it can be fatal keeping it on. Take it off!!
Old 22-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
crazy_sailor
Incubating

Zekee

Every environment has humidity, its a muggy day where I live today and humidity in my house is about 75-80%. The lid I have is a vented aquarium lid with three large vent grills on top and open areas at the back where power cables run. Its not a sealed tupperware box and where I have removed a splash panel to modify the lighting the ventilation has been further improved.

There is no condensation forming on the glass and the air is clear to look through. The hygrometer I have just installed shows just below 80% so not that different to the rest of my house and therefor what it would be if there was no lid at all.

After a bit more research I have found that Musks are common in the Everglades where humidity in the summer is routinely 90%+ and are ok.

I'm trying hard to ensure that I dont cause harm or distress to Scran and Spanner and I dont think I am from what I have read and from what I can see and monitor. All advice is gratefully received and I will continue to monitor and improve/tweak where required the artifical habitat I have created for them.
1.0.0 Shih Tzu - Diesel
1.0.0 Hermann - Jenson