Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The pellets are a better food than the lettuce and the cucumber, so if you can get her back eating pellets that would be great. With her new tank do you have a way for her to get out of the water and bask? Also so, seeing as you don't have any UV on her, it would be best to set-up an outside enclosure. Something like this would be great if you could find one where you are. http://reviews.truevalue.com/9048/33...ws/reviews.htm

Danny
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
amaksoud
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
The pellets are a better food than the lettuce and the cucumber, so if you can get her back eating pellets that would be great. With her new tank do you have a way for her to get out of the water and bask? Also so, seeing as you don't have any UV on her, it would be best to set-up an outside enclosure. Something like this would be great if you could find one where you are. http://reviews.truevalue.com/9048/33...ws/reviews.htm

Danny
This is the first time I read that pellets are better than vegetables, every other forum I visited told try to give vegetables, shrimps and sometimes they advised boiled chicken as well, seemed wiered to me, thanks for the advise.

There's no problem with her eating pellets again, I guess.

In the current tank setup, there's a rock that she can use to get completely out of water but there's no sunlight.

I planed to move the tank to another corner next to a window where the sun hits the place daily for 2 to 3 hours, but unfortunately the tank leaked water today so I'll try to fix it with silicon tomorrow and I need your advise with that, how soon can I move her back to the tank after fixing ?

I keep her currently in the original container in which I bought her that's somehow similar to the one you recommended.

So the treatment for shell rot is all about UV or sunlight exposure ?
amaksoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
amaksoud
Egg

One more thing, as I failed to find any reptile lamps over here so far, I'm trying to get one online.

I have the following choices for bulbs, 50, 75, 100, 150, 250 watts available, which is more suitable for my turtle ?

Will moving the tank to that indoor sunny spot replace the need for a bulb?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
amaksoud
Egg

Hi,
Here're the updates, I failed to fix the old tank and bought a new one a couple of hours ago but didn't go home yet.

I kept on applying Maxitrol once daily and here's a photo showing how it looks now.

I think the inflammation is much less now, I even noticed today that she opened her eyes in half for a few seconds.

Now for the new tank setup, I will give the tank a good wash and put water and anti chlorine, filter, heater and wait for an hour and then put the turtle, is that OK ?

Waiting for your replies regarding the past questions and any advises for the new tank setup ? I heard about tank recycle for fishes but I'm not sure if it's beneficial for my turtles or not.
Old 15-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
amaksoud
Egg

She slightly opened one eye today and wiped Maxitrol when I put it as usual. I think this is a good thing.
Old 15-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Kirkie
Adult

Sorry, missed your updates.*

The eyes do look better in the photo.

About the tank and lighting. Is it a glass tank? If so don't put it in direct sunlight indoors or out. It will overheat to dangerous levels.

If the tank is indoors sunlight is of no use if its coming through glass. It will block the UVB rays which the turtle needs. You need a UVB producing bulb or tube lamp for indoors and if outdoors you need something other than a glass tank. A plastic tub is great for outdoors. I cant recommend natural sunlight enough for this turtle.

On your earlier post about the turtle pellets, do you have a brand name and does it list the ingredients (including vitamins and minerals?).
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
amaksoud
Egg

Thanks for the reply......I had a feeling that I'm messaging myself for the last few days

It's a glass tank and it's indoor. I've searched for online sources for UV bulbs but most of them don't ship internationally.I'd appreciate if you can recommend one that does ship internationally.
I have also went to a pet market over here and searched for it but in vain.

For the pellets, I will check the brand and ingredients and get back to you.

Thanks once again.
Old 15-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Kirkie
Adult

Its going to depend on where you are as to whether you can get a uv light delivered?

One thing I was going to say; although the eyes look less swollen they are still closed. The treatment may be acting on the inflammation but not the cause. Its time to look at causes. Still think vit A is needed so if the turtle is eating a drop of cod liver oil on the food (or soaked into the pellets). Also green leaves or maybe a little liver, all rich in vit A. If its not feeding a little cod liver oil rubbed onto the eyelids may help.
Old 15-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
amaksoud
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Its going to depend on where you are as to whether you can get a uv light delivered?

One thing I was going to say; although the eyes look less swollen they are still closed. The treatment may be acting on the inflammation but not the cause. Its time to look at causes. Still think vit A is needed so if the turtle is eating a drop of cod liver oil on the food (or soaked into the pellets). Also green leaves or maybe a little liver, all rich in vit A. If its not feeding a little cod liver oil rubbed onto the eyelids may help.
I'm in Dubai, UAE.

Well for the eyes, she opened one of them today in half, and more interestingly she wiped Maxitrol as soon as I put it today.

The problem with Vitamin A is that she didn't eat at all since this began, I really don't know if this is OK or not.

I can get cod liver oil easily and soak the pellets but I don't know how to get her to eat.

I think I can't do that rubbing thing, I fear to hurt her.
Old 15-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Kirkie
Adult

Ok so natural sunlight should not be a problem you just cant use a glass tank. Anything that holds water will do for now. A big plastic tray, a childs paddling pool.

You'll have to trust me on the cod liver oil on the swollen eye lids, it works and its harmless.