Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 25-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
supremelysteve
Egg

Default 3 Hermann's sex id, please

I just received three Hermann's tortoises that were labeled as captive bred in Europe. Are these actually captive bred? They look to be about 6-7 years old. If they are actually wild-caught, any thoughts on country/region of origin? I think I remember reading Danny posting about Bulgarian Hermann's having 4 toes on the hind feet. These three all have 4 toes on the hind feet.
They are supposed to be 1 male and 2 females. I'm not sure what I have. Number 2 looks definitely female number 3 looks probably female, and if one is a male, I would have to guess it must be number 1.
Thanks,
Steve
#1 4 1/8"

#2 4"

#3 4 1/4"

supremelysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Steve,
The 4 claws is for the front legs as all Hermanns have 4 claws on the back legs.
All 3 look like females to me.
Here goes subspecies.
#1 T.h.boettgeri
#2 T.h.hercegovinensis
#3 T.h.boettgeri

Danny
Old 25-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
supremelysteve
Egg

Danny,
Thanks for responding (twice). I am really thinking these may be wild-caught, not captive bred. Is that likely, or are there farms in Europe that raise these up to this size, then sell them? Any idea where they might actually be from?

How would there be a T.h.hercegovinensis in the mix? I don't want to be hybridizing subspecies. If they are captive-bred, then maybe these are already hybridized.

Steve
Old 26-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

In all likely hood the "farms" are probably "laundering" wild caught tortoises through the farms and passing them off as captive born. I've heard there are now farms in Macedonia and the farms in Slovenia are importing from them and selling on. Macedonia is the border between the 2 subspecies. So yes they could be naturally occuring crosses of the 2 subspecies, but probably just caught from different areas.

Danny
Old 27-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

It does seem unlikely that any commercial business would raise hatchlings for as long as that because they wouldn't make additional profit even though they had all the costs of keeping them for a number of years. Unless Steve paid a great deal of money for them.

It also seems to me that if the tortoises had been kept in captivity they wouldn't have such smooth growth. Or maybe the 'farmers' pay attention to husbandry and are so good at it that the tortoises grow like this? No, I doubt that as well.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Steve, you say they look about 6-7 years old but what does their A10 certificates say?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
supremelysteve
Egg

I don't have any certification. I'm assuming age based on counting rings, which I know are notoriously inaccurate. The seller was out of Florida, and knew nothing about their origins, other than what he was told by whoever he bought them from (captive-bred in EU). The seller is has quite a few of them for sale, all around this size.
I just realized #3 has a small "X" carved right above the right (her left) inguinal scute.

The two T. h. boettgeri have 4 claws each on the front feet, and #2 has 5 claws on each front foot.

Steve
Old 27-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

They are still very nice Steve, the deed is done there are some fairly big two year old Hermans for sale in a repti shop near us, Wild caught i suspect and then farmed, it's becoming a farce.
Paul