Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Dandelion
Hatched

Default "Egyptian" tortoises? I don't think so. *PLEASE HELP*

These tortoises were sold to me as Egyptians, this is obviously not the case...

The first looks to me like an Antakyan, the second looks like a Hermann's, but his face looks like an ibera?

I don't know I would really really like your help! Thank you

1st

2nd

Last edited by Dandelion; 07-09-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The first tortoise is a female Greek, T.graeca. She looks to me like a cross between a Golden greek, T.g.terrestris and an Antakyan greek, T.g.antakyensis.
The second tortoise is a male Hermanns tortoise, T.h.boettgeri.

Danny
Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Dandelion
Hatched

Thank you Dan.

I was thinking maybe I could swap this male with an ibera male someone I know is willing to trade has, but he is just too sweet I'm sure I'd be really sad to see him go.

She is really beautiful, I am not sure how she can be a cross, though. Would this happen naturally because she is definitely an adult, would she have been captive-bred?

I knew instantly when I went there that they were not Egyptian, but I wasn't really disappointed. I thought that the female could be Jordanian, and the male an ibera. This would make a great pair from my Male Jordanian and my female Ibera.

I just guess it's not my time to breed tortoises... And I don't think I'll go tortoise hunting for a long time now...

Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

They cross naturally in the wild. There is no barrier that prevents the subspecies from coming in contact with each other.

Danny
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Dandelion
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
They cross naturally in the wild. There is no barrier that prevents the subspecies from coming in contact with each other.

Danny
Oh! I thought there was some sort of "separation" between the subspecies...

Maybe I should take away the barrier between this female cross and my Jordanian male? (After quarantine, of course.)

I deeply appreciate your help, dan! Thank you!

Last edited by Dandelion; 07-09-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I agree with Kelly, as you already have 3 types of tortoises to choose from to pair up this female with, another cross, an Antakyan or a Golden greek. Why would you want to add another subspecies into the mix.

Danny
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Dandelion
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
You have a cross there already why would you then want to add yet another subspecies into that cross? The Tortoise you have has no Jordanian in it from what Danny has said so why would you consider it, you can't be that desperate to breed???
It's nothing I am planning to do. I never really thought that it would be nice to add another subspecies to that cross, either, I just thought since my Jordanian male is separated from the rest, that he would appreciate her company and them breeding would be no problem. I thought maybe even naturally a cross tortoise would breed with another subspecies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
I agree with Kelly, as you already have 3 types of tortoises to choose from to pair up this female with, another cross, an Antakyan or a Golden greek. Why would you want to add another subspecies into the mix.

Danny
I understand where you two are coming from and I guess you are right.
For the record, I have a young female Antakyan and a young male Golden Greek. So not really up for breeding yet. I'm fine with that, seriously. I just thought that I could place her in with my male with no problems..

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
gtm
Hatchling

I recently saw an Ad selling Egyptian hatchlings for £1100 a go. Way, way out of my price range & to be brutally honest they'd probably die under my care. As I understand it they are very hard to sucessfully keep in our moist climate.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote