Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 13-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
alley cat
Adult

I had an egg that I opened once that had gone over time....big mistake! It was for the same reasons you are worried, it came out alive but with a huge yolk sac anyway I won't ever do it again, I would rather it die in shell than see and deal with that again!

I am sure yours will soon be out, I can't remember how long Margie's normally take?
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Suze65
Adult

Well baby has come out, but she is sitting on a fairly large yoke sac, but she is doing fine, she is just sitting quietly in the bottom half of the shell, , with a little nest round her ( wet kitchen paper) and I have covered her with damp kitchen paper ( open at the front) so she can see out, to keep her still, this seems to have done the trick, she sleeps mainly, and I wake her up 2-3 times a day to give her droplets of water. She is still in the incubator. She's very pretty, and has a lovely shell.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Well baby has come out, but she is sitting on a fairly large yoke sac, but she is doing fine, she is just sitting quietly in the bottom half of the shell, , with a little nest round her ( wet kitchen paper) and I have covered her with damp kitchen paper ( open at the front) so she can see out, to keep her still, this seems to have done the trick, she sleeps mainly, and I wake her up 2-3 times a day to give her droplets of water. She is still in the incubator. She's very pretty, and has a lovely shell.
Congratulations, Suze! I'm so relieved for you that she's out. I'm sure she'll absorb the sac soon and become a little more lively.
Is the friend who's having her excited about the little one being here?

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Congratulations, Suze! I'm so relieved for you that she's out. I'm sure she'll absorb the sac soon and become a little more lively.
Is the friend who's having her excited about the little one being here?
Thanks Emma, she is already absorbing the sac, and sitting very nicely, takes little drinks from my finger tip, I think she will be fine. My friend is so excited, I'm not handing her over until September, after the school holidays. My friend is the sort of person who, if she's going to do something, gives it her all, so I know Pickle will get the very best, and of course I will be close at hand, I can pop in any time.

Old 14-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
alley cat
Adult

Quote:

Tell the truth Suze did you help her?

Good luck with her
Old 14-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Thanks Emma, she is already absorbing the sac, and sitting very nicely, takes little drinks from my finger tip, I think she will be fine. My friend is so excited, I'm not handing her over until September, after the school holidays. My friend is the sort of person who, if she's going to do something, gives it her all, so I know Pickle will get the very best, and of course I will be close at hand, I can pop in any time.
Brilliant news. These naughty late arrivals certainly test our patience, but are worth the anxiety. I'm so glad she's doing well.
It'll be nice for you to look after her for the next few weeks and how lovely that it's a friend she's going to, so you can see the little one grow up.
I hope you don't keep us waiting too long for a photo.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

wow ! congratulations, how absolutely remarkable. can not wait to see the photos. CB
Old 14-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Tell the truth Suze did you help her?

Good luck with her
Ok Alley I will, I'm not ashamed to say I did, get her out, and it was the right decision , I thought long and hard about it, and all the possibilities . As it turns out, if I had left her, she wouldn't have got out, she was covered in a thick sticky gum, quite literally . It was all over her, and across her face, and legs. I had to get it off her, her head and legs were trapped behind a thick rubbery sticky gloop. She couldn't get out of it. Yes she has a big yoke sac, but it's either, stay in the egg and die or come out of the egg and sit on a yoke sac for a few days, and actually have a chance of surviving. While I fully respect everyone's opinions and we all have different ways of doing things, I am not of the opinion " never interfere " so please respect my choice. She's looking good, and is sitting very patiently, and the sac is reducing in size. I think she's going to be fine, and even if it doesn't have a happy ending , I feel I have given her the best chance.

Old 14-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
alley cat
Adult

All of mine seem to have the gloop on them as they hatch actually, so I think it must be quite normal.
I hope she makes it and I didn't mean to make you feel that you had to justify your decision I was just asking as it seemed one minute it was an egg the next it was a hatchling
Old 14-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #20
Gordon
Adult

Glad she is doing fine even though it is still early days.
I know people say don't interfere but you did the best thing when they have all that sticky stuff on them they really struggle and most die I know as I have lost a few
Well done you fingers crossed.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote