Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
markbigears
Incubating

Default "Munster" is home! (Photos)

Hi all, a little earlier than expected, as he's mine, sorry, my sons, Christmas present!
I was supposed to pick him up Christmas Eve, but as I had his home already set up and he was being kept at the pet shop in a small environment with nothing in but his feed dish, no water or hide (poor sausage). I decided to go get him. Had in 2 days now and he seems to have settled in well, he's eating and sleeping in one of his three hides (the same one for 2 nights now, snuggles in about 6pm). I'm giving him a daily warm bath but he still hasn't done a poo yet! He's bright eyed and active.
My 11 year old is very suspicious and knows something is going on, but I've told him he's not to go into the spare bedroom! The only problem I've had is the 100w Arcadia D3 bulb I bought is far too powerful (over 40c). Ordered the smaller 80w which should be here Wednesday.
Hope you enjoy the pictures and many thanks to all those kind and experienced people that have answered many many questions over the past few weeks.

First bath!

Does this look ok size wise, how much to feed him? Should I feed him 7 days a week or skip one or two a week?
I'm adding Nutrobal one day, calcium without D3 the next.

Thanks for looking, Mark
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Lovely to see Munster in his new home. I'm not sure I followed your previous threads but the only thing I'd ask about is his substrate. The wood chips aren't great for tortoises to walk on. Coir or sterilised topsoil is the recommended substrate.
It's excellent that he's exploring and eating. If he's eating, the poo will come!
I give limestone flour 5 days a week and nutrabol the remaining 2 days.
Good luck keeping your son out of the spare room.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
markbigears
Incubating

Hi Emma, the wife bought him from a pet shop, with all the bits and bobs that shop owners sell you ..... You know the usual, vivarium, beech chips.... And the top advice of, he doesn't need water .... I could go on!! As soon us I've used up the huge sack of clippings, I'll try something else. He has been on beech chips his whole life, he gets around fine though.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
Stellanne
Hatchling

Hi Mark, Munster looks lovely how old is she/he? I too would change the wood clippings ASAP. I use coir and my babes love it. I am sure you would find a difference in your torts behaviour as it is much easier to walk on and dig in. Also the coir will keep damp and be less drying on its shell. Go steady on the supplements, a light dusting is all you need.
How soon do you think your son will prise your secret from you........two days?? X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

Can I assume that you got his article 10 paper and has he been microchipped if over 60m as its the sellers responsibility to provide the cert and have the chip done, it will also say where your tort came from on the cert, most shops sell imported ones so if that's the case it might be worth having a poo sample checked for worms/parasites as imported torts carry them more than uk bred ones and I to would suggest a soil based substrate as your tort needs to be able to dig and bury himself.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Finsky
Incubating

Hi...I won't offer you any advice, far new to all this myself and others are much experienced. Just wanted to say how nice it is to see your photos..YOUR tortoise do look lovely!
No, that wasn't 'typo'...it sounds like he/she is already turning to be yours.. I would look into possibility for another family addition, one that would be your son's.
Lol...show this one to him 'as a promise of things to come'...
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
markbigears
Incubating

Firstly, yes i know about the substrate .....
Thanks Stellanne, have reduced the amount of vitamins i put on his/her food.
does the routine of Nutrobal one day, just calcium the next sound too much to you?
Should I skip a day or 2? Likewise should i feed the munster 7days a week?
just wondering what you all do.
Pussygalore ... yes he has a A10 cert and is microchipped.
He is 7.6cm (3 inches in old money!) and weighs 78 grams ... hatch date 2014. How does that sound?
Finsky ... thanks for the kind words .... one is enough! stressed enough as it is! I'm having to get up half an hour earlier to bath and feed him!

thanks all ..... any other advice always welcome x

Last edited by markbigears; 01-12-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Oh so sweet and so little and so cute!

You will be a great 'dad'! That you take such an interest and want to do the best is just fantastic. I am still persuading my hairdresser that his tortoise needs water - he was told there is enough water in the food by the reptile shop.

A cheap option for the substrate is a bag of top soil mixed with play sand. The advice is 50/50 by Tortoise Trust, but I found a bit too sandy. Both are sold cleaned, so just need drying out. Will last a very long time.

I don't think your son will get a look in, but do let us know what he thinks on Christmas Day (or before)!

Good luck
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

mark - what a super little tort munster is - thanks for sharing his photo (don't forget to put more under the photo section too as some might miss the joys on this section! ) im thinking Christmas day surprise shot !!!
Yes substrate topic....you know my thoughts as I was pretty brutal ....I reckon get a small packet of coco coir if you can and put some at one end perhaps and under his house - the joy of watching them snuggle under is the equivalent of a full on Turkey Christmas dinner with all the trimmings!! (vegetarian options available). Super pickies - don't go lean on the food - 7 days a week and let them choose, CB
Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

oh forgot to ask your 100w bulb - is it worth making it higher, sorry if tried that. Ive got similar problem with a new tort enclosure in that Ive got it too high and only giving out
25'c. CB