Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Jan W
Sub Adult

The only thing I would add around weight is the retained poop could be quite heavy (in tortoise weights) , so just be a bit careful not to think she is putting on weight. Humans can lose a few pounds!

Thanks for keeping us posted. I do like to hear how things progress.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
Tatty91
Egg

Still no poo for Mabel. Vet gave her some liquid food and a laxative yesterday. Most importantly he said she doesn't appear to be any immediate discomfort. So now it's lots of baths and back to the vet in a few days if still nothing passes. What I have also observed is that she is drinking way more than normal in her baths. Might be unrelated though.
Tatty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Suze65
Adult

You could ask the vet for a tiny syringe and give the tort warm water enimas, I would soak several time as a day and an enima twice a day. You can also give lactulose.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatty91 View Post
Still no poo for Mabel. Vet gave her some liquid food and a laxative yesterday. Most importantly he said she doesn't appear to be any immediate discomfort. So now it's lots of baths and back to the vet in a few days if still nothing passes. What I have also observed is that she is drinking way more than normal in her baths. Might be unrelated though.
that's good, may be dehydrated and if you add reptoboost or critical care or carrot juice it will get into the system and give her little immune a boost. I put a plant near the lamps and if they start drying out (daily mist spray) its an indication that the atmosphere is way too dry. OR and try a hydrometer. should be 45 - 55 % humidity in the general area, more in a humid hyde. Most people would be surprised how much central heating or closed doors dries a room out, let alone a heat lamp CB
Old 09-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
Tatty91
Egg

Mabel is going back to the vet on Tuesday as she is still straining and no poop

This morning she has been passing a brownish/yellowish liquid in the bath. Should I be alarmed?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

is it pure liquid? but coloured? and think definitely not urates gone a funny colour? does it smell? May not be good, but could be bad diarrhoea? but don't panic with it.
I note you said the vet has given her a laxative so I suspect it will be the result of that doing its work. keep check on weight. Personally, some good advice I was given months ago was to get carrot hip baby food and bath her in it. (most hipp baby food ok but not meat or risotto)...its to get the vitamins in via bathing).
keep the warm bathing up (up to 40 degrees), if you can get her to vets sooner than Tuesday then that would be ideal. Keep a time when she was given the laxative and when she released. CB
Old 09-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
Tatty91
Egg

It is pure liquid yes and a yellow/brown colour. It doesn't smell.

The vet did give her a laxative but 8 days ago! Would it take that long to work? Today she has been constantly in and out of the bath and she's straining way more than normal. I think she is feeling discomfort/pain now

I've phoned up the out of hours today but the vet on call is not a reptile vet and suggested calling my own vet in the morning (because she is alert and has eaten today). I can't physically get her there before 5.00pm because of work though.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #18
Tatty91
Egg

The most awful thing has just happened.

I have just found Mabel passed away.

I can't speak and I don't understand.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #19
Jan W
Sub Adult

I am so very, very sorry.

You did everything you possibly could.

Thinking of you.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

So very sorry to hear this. they are a very complex creature and you cant always tell what's happening or what they were born with. They can be affected by the simpliest things in life which isn't anything to do with what you have done or didn't do. please do take some relief in the fact she had a good life with you and was so very loved. don't shy away from further tortoise keeping either so many need loving homes.