Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 23-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Default ID Please

These unknowns have appeared in a pot and my weed border but I'm not sure what they are. Anyone recognise them?

I was thinking along the lines of a groundsel or ragwort for this due to the lobes? It's a pot that was neglected all spring so the old pansies need turfing out and the whole pot replanted but I'm curious about this weed.

Not sure about this. It looks as if little yellow flowers are developing but they don't match any of the leaves with yellow flowers in my wild flower ID books, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.....all 3 photos are of the same plant:

I'm not expecting them to be edible but I'd like to know what they are for future reference if anyone recognises them.

Finally this little sapling will be removed but it'd be nice to know what it is if anyone has any ideas:

Thank you.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

The three photos of the plant with the yellow flower showing is Wood Avens.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
The three photos of the plant with the yellow flower showing is Wood Avens.
Thanks Clare, I've never heard of it before. I'm presuming it's not edible? I'll do a little research.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 23-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Wood Avens is a feed sparingly on TTT but high in tannins.
I did a little research on it and great to read about all its healing properties and that it can be cooked or used within lotions and potions. Must have used this one in my witchy-pagan-medieval-shield maiden days.

Old 24-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Weeds
Just don't understand gardeners letting them get so big pull them up and keep your garden tidy.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Weeds
Just don't understand gardeners letting them get so big pull them up and keep your garden tidy.
Ha - I actually have a sign that reads I grow weeds on purpose.
I'm presuming you can't identify them then, Gordon?

Old 24-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Ha - I actually have a sign that reads I grow weeds on purpose.
I'm presuming you can't identify them then, Gordon?
No sorry I don't do the id thing the torts have a much better idea than me if they don't like it then I don't give it them again.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Fair enough. I have a dedicated weed area where I grow them nice and big but I always get a few intruders each year....

Old 24-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

The first one could possibly be cats ear or a similar Dandelion relative! Groundsel is usually a bit more upright and greener - you should be able to see the yellow flower heads appearing. Ragwort - also would be greener and starts off as a more compact shorter plant. If you can leave a bit longer it will soon be possible to tell, or else if you can post any photos from different angles it might help.

Did you buy a pack of yellow seeds?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
The first one could possibly be cats ear or a similar Dandelion relative! Groundsel is usually a bit more upright and greener - you should be able to see the yellow flower heads appearing. Ragwort - also would be greener and starts off as a more compact shorter plant. If you can leave a bit longer it will soon be possible to tell, or else if you can post any photos from different angles it might help.

Did you buy a pack of yellow seeds?
It's definitely not Cat's Ear. No yellow seeds bought either. It doesn't look like the Ragwort I'm familiar with but I don't think I've seen Groundsel properly before. It's just popped up in a pot that had pansies and ivy in over the winter months.
I'll leave it where it is for another week or so to see what flowers appear but then I want to pretty up my pots for the summer so it'll go.
Thanks Clare.