Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 13-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

Default USA finally waking up to conserving their diverse Turtle species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
When I went to china town NY they had some turtles for sale and they had a big bin full of frogs it makes me mad that they abuse these animals and it even pisses me off more that they are doing it in my country and getting away with
usa finally waking up to protect common species of turtles

TUCSON, Arizona, March 11, 2009 (ENS) - Conservation and health groups today filed emergency petitions with eight midwestern and southern states, seeking to end the commercial harvest of freshwater turtles sold for food in the United States and abroad.

Not only are the turtles vanishing into extinction, but consumers are eating meat from turtles caught in streams contaminated with mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, and pesticides, the petitioners warn.

The coalition of two dozen groups submitted administrative petitions to state wildlife and health agencies in Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Ohio, South Carolina, and Tennessee, asking for a ban on commercial harvest of freshwater turtles in all public and private waters.

The groups say wildlife exporters and dealers are harvesting massive and unsustainable numbers of wild freshwater turtles from southern and midwestern states that continue to allow unlimited and unregulated take of turtles.

"Unregulated wildlife dealers are mining southern and midwestern streams for turtles for the export trade, in a frenzy reminiscent of the gold rush," said Jeff Miller, conservation advocate with the Center for Biological Diversity.

"Commercial collectors could harvest every non-protected turtle that exists in the wild under the inadequate regulations that currently exist in these states," he said. "Turtles are an important part of aquatic ecosystems, and this unsustainable trade needs to be stopped."

The few turtle surveys that have been conducted in southern and midwestern states show depletions and extinction of freshwater turtles in many streams.

Herpetologists have reported drastic reductions in numbers and even the disappearance of many southern map turtle species.

The coalition says that harvests and exports of wild turtles caught in the United States have "skyrocketed" and regulations are needed to prevent further depletions of native turtle populations and to protect public health.

Almost 200,000 wild turtles are trapped each year in Arkansas, the coalition said today.

"One collector alone takes more than 300 snapping turtles each year in Kentucky for the pet trade; a single collector took 220 adult snapping turtles from a single river in Louisiana in one year; another pet dealer buys 8,000 to 10,000 pounds per year of live wild adult snappers from trappers in Louisiana; and a collector in Tennessee took more than 4,000 pounds of common snapping turtles from a single reservoir in 2007, " the coalition said in a statement today.

Commercial turtle buyers in Oklahoma reported purchasing almost 750,000 wild-caught turtles from 1994 to 1999.

More than a quarter million wild-caught adult turtles captured in Texas were exported from Dallas Fort Worth Airport alone to Asia for human consumption from 2002 to 2005.

Because freshwater turtles can live as long as 150 years, breed late in life, and have low reproductive and survival rates, they are vulnerable to overharvest. Removing even a few adults from a stream can have a population effect lasting for decades, since each adult turtle removed eliminates the reproductive potential over a breeding life that may exceed 50 years, the conservationists point out.

Effective June 14, 2006, the United States listed 13 native freshwater turtle species in Appendix III of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species - the alligator snapping turtle and all 12 species of map turtle. Listed as Vulnerable to extinction by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, the alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys temminckii, is North America's largest freshwater turtle and may reach a size of up to 250 pounds.

Once a species is listed under CITES, any international trade in the species, either as live specimens or parts or products, farmed or wild-caught, must be accompanied by a valid CITES permit or certificate. But this rule does not apply to trade within the United States.

The coalition has now submitted regulatory petitions to every remaining state in the United States that has unrestricted commercial harvest or inadequate harvest regulations for freshwater turtles.

In 2008 the Center and allied groups petitioned Florida, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Texas to ban commercial harvest of all native freshwater turtles in those states.

The petitions trigger a public rulemaking process in each state. Texas has since prohibited commercial harvest from public waters, but continues to allow unlimited harvest of some native turtle species from streams and lakes on private lands.

Oklahoma enacted a three-year moratorium on commercial harvest of turtles from public waters while studying the status of its wild turtle populations, the effects of commercial harvest, and the potential contamination of turtles sold as food.

Florida imposed a temporary, 20 turtle-a-day limit for commercial fishermen while it reviews harvest regulations.

The Georgia legislature is currently considering a bill on restrictions to turtle harvest, based on recommendations by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

The South Carolina state legislature is currently considering a turtle harvest bill in the House, but it would allow collectors to harvest up to 10 turtles at a time, with a maximum of 20 turtles per year. This would create an avenue for illegal export of turtles from South Carolina, the coalition says.

A bill that would prohibit the sale, barter, or trade of turtles is currently being considered by a subcommittee in the Iowa legislature.

Most wild turtles harvested in the United States are exported to supply food markets in Asia, primarily China, where turtle consumption rates have soared and as a result, most native freshwater turtles have been driven to extinction in the wild. Importers are now turning to the United States to meet demand. Turtles also are sold to Asian seafood markets in the United States.

Many of these turtles are harvested from streams under state and federal fish advisories and bans that caution against and prohibit human consumption, due to aquatic contaminants that are carcinogenic or harmful to humans such as DDT, PCBs, pesticides, mercury and other heavy metals.

Turtles live longer and bioaccumulate greater amounts of aquatic contaminants than fish, particularly snapping and softshell turtles that burrow in contaminated sediments.

"Hundreds of thousands of wild-caught turtles are sold locally as food or exported to international food markets from these states each year, many contaminated with dangerous levels of mercury, PCBs, and pesticides," said Miller. "This food trade is completely unregulated, so the potential health implications are staggering."
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
sandy
Adult

Its surprising for a civilised country not to be protecting there own local speices.
I for one was not aware that turtles were exported from the US to supply food markets else where. Unless I have read your message wrong Paul.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Its surprising for a civilised country not to be protecting there own local speices.
I for one was not aware that turtles were exported from the US to supply food markets else where. Unless I have read your message wrong Paul.
No Sandy, you have read the post correctly. Huge quantities of live Turtles are being shipped out of the USA to China. These include especially the very large breeding adults of Softshell species, of which the USA boasts three species, and many thousands of hard shelled Turtles, of various species.
When they refer to local consumption, there is a relativley small domestic market from Cajun and Chinese nationals who also eat Turtles, and Tortoises, inside the USA.
Old 13-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #14
Kirkie
Adult

Another eye opener. Although I was aware of a US export trade to China I was under the impression this was from commercial farming operations.

The fact that native CITES protected species are are only covered for export purposes in America is something else I wasn't aware of.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #15
Kirkie
Adult

Ok ,might have confused EU CITES regulations with Global CITES there. Global CITES has Appendix III, "least threatened by trade."

Old 14-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Ok ,might have confused EU CITES regulations with Global CITES there. Global CITES has Appendix III, "least threatened by trade."

All three species of North American Softshell Turtles,(Apalone spp), all of the Map Turtles (Graptemys spp), not already listed, and the Diamond back Turtles (Malaclemys spp), have been recommended to be elevated to CITES schedule 11, at the next round of CITES meetings.
Old 14-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
sandy
Adult

Ok for ignorant me, what is the difference between EU cites, and global cites please?
Other than one is sort of local and the other is the world:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #18
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Ok for ignorant me, what is the difference between EU cites, and global cites please?
Other than one is sort of local and the other is the world:0)
Good question, a local region of the BCG are having a speaker from DEFRA give a talk on the 4th April in Kent. This will be a good question to put too them!
Rgds
Paul
Old 14-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
Kirkie
Adult

Ok. I'll admit this was "borrowed" from elsewhere but it's a free country.

It is important to remember that CITES only came into being in 1973, prior to that there was free trade. However, it is important to bear in mind that Testudo hermanni & marginata are only CITES II in respect of proper [global] CITES. Therefore for most of the world the trade in wild collected animals is permitted. It is only in the EU where the conservation status is artificially raised to Annex A, [i.e. Appendix I]. Slovenia became signatory to CITES in 2000, before that it was free trade, and only acceded to the EU in 2004. No Testudo species are native to Slovenia, so all stock would have been imported.

EC CITES has higher ‘requirements’ – stricter measures, than global CITES. It gets very complicated. Global CITES has Appendix I – the most protected., not trade in wild caught specimens. Appendix II, regulated, i.e unregulated trade could threaten the species; trade is regulated by quota. Appendix III, least threatened by trade.

EU CITES has Annex A, unusually Appendix I [but not necessarily], i.e no trade in wild caught specimens. Annex B, usually CITES II, regulated trade in wild specimens and Annex C –and Annex D – not on CITES at all.

For example, T. hermanni in terms of global CITES can be traded as wild caught specimens outside of the EU. However, within the EU they are regarded as protected and there is no trade in wild caught specimens.

Does this actually protect the species? Within the EU it prevents trade, but globally it does not. Put it this way a country has an export quota under CITES of say 1,000 specimens. The EU will not accept the quota as it raises the protection status [artificially]. So instead of 500 specimens going into the EU and 500 to the rest of the world, 1,000 goes to the rest of then world and 0 to the EU. The conservation benefit if this is bugger all!!!!
Old 14-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Geomyda
Adult

Well I am glad that all clear then