Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 12-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #31
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Sorry to hear you are unwell, just as weather improving and hoping winter is over.

My dad used to swear by menthol in boiling water in a bowl, head over the top covered with a towel so that all the steam could be inhaled. So, just like a gentle flushing or more like a home made nebulised,

I must say I prefer Karvol (?) capsules - couldn't stand the heat!
Thank you I'm actually feeling a bit better today.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #32
CherryBrandy
Adult

Man flu has flown ! You can start multitasking now today ! Glad you are better Gordon, nothing worse that a spring cold !
2 of my Horsfields woken up with RNS , watery eyes poor things. Were ok on waking so wonder if a little too cold for them still, 45 in greenhouse though ! CB
Old 13-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #33
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Man flu has flown ! You can start multitasking now today ! Glad you are better Gordon, nothing worse that a spring cold !
2 of my Horsfields woken up with RNS , watery eyes poor things. Were ok on waking so wonder if a little too cold for them still, 45 in greenhouse though ! CB
Oh no, how are you going to treat then for RNS, my tort is now better, the nebulising with F10 certainly did the trick.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 02:44 AM   #34
Wqaz12
Egg

Baytril is the way to go if you end up with a repertory infection it will take even longer to sort out.
Wqaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #35
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wqaz12 View Post
Baytril is the way to go if you end up with a repertory infection it will take even longer to sort out.
Baytrill is a very generic antibiotic, and antibiotics have been over used in animals as well as us. So vets are now approaching infections differently. My tortoise has recovered without the use of antibiotics, which has got to be a good thing. If it had been worse then antibiotics would have been appropriate, but the right one, not just dishing out baytrill, like cough drops. Now the approach is take samples of the bacteria, grow a culture and treat with the appropriate antibiotic. Times are changing

Old 14-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #36
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Baytrill is a very generic antibiotic, and antibiotics have been over used in animals as well as us. So vets are now approaching infections differently. My tortoise has recovered without the use of antibiotics, which has got to be a good thing. If it had been worse then antibiotics would have been appropriate, but the right one, not just dishing out baytrill, like cough drops. Now the approach is take samples of the bacteria, grow a culture and treat with the appropriate antibiotic. Times are changing
Its usually the vets who have little or no knowledge of tortoises that will dish out abs straight away:0(
I can honestly say, with my own tortoises I have never had to use abs at all in over 36yrs.
I have had to use on a couple of tortoises that I had no history of, had to use them. But for as little time as possible.
Some vets dont even tell the keepers that you have to keep the heat up 24hrs a day for them to work properly:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #37
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Oh no, how are you going to treat then for RNS, my tort is now better, the nebulising with F10 certainly did the trick.
Opticom Suze ! hayfever drops - not saying these cured RNS, but it has opened up the eyes, one couldn't open the 'eyelid' and other had a white mass on it, has made a difference to breathing, both eating now and looking much happier - though had they not been I think I would use the nebuliser first then perhaps vets.
Old 16-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #38
Suze65
Adult

Oh glad to hear they getting better