Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
tgt038
Egg

Default Hatchling Hermann Can't Open Mouth & Eat

I breed Hermann's. One of my hatchling's this season is trying really hard to eat, but can't open it's mouth. It has survived on water with vitamins for the last 5-6 weeks since being born. The other hatchling's are now twice the size. It looks like the baby is able to drink fluid through it's nose, however the nostril is so small even a very small food particle wouldn't go through. I am unable to hold it's neck out to open the mouth and feed with a syringe or similar device. The baby is still very active and feels strong when it pushes against me whilst holding it.

Running out of options, it clearly has an instinct to eat and find food, but can only nudge food with it's head. It could therefore mean it has very weak jaw/mouth muscles.

I have been alternately diluting nutrobal and reptoboost into the water. It doesn't drink much as very small but must be getting something from it to be as active as it is. I'm giving three soaks per day in warm water

The head/neck is very small, it's hard to hold the head without withdrawal into the shell. I have tried numerous times to open the mouth when possible but it's very delicate. The mouth doesn't move at all when drinking (through nose), touching the head or trying to pry open.

Has anyone experienced this with a baby tort and advise of any options, I'm guessing I don't have too long left?

Thanks
Jon
tgt038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Jon
I'm afraid I cannot advise, but I have responded to you so that your post of yesterday appears on todays posts, as some of the forum members will pick this up.

As you are new on site your first 5 posts have to be checked by the administrator, hence why today it appears to be first time seen.

This all sounds very worrying, but I do not have the experience to help.

Good luck
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I have tried to open a babies mouth and hand feed it that sounds the same as yours to no avail in my opinion the kindest thing to do is to have it put to sleep as trying to what we think is best is not always in the animals best interest and it is more than likely suffering.
You have to remember that everything a tortoise does takes a long time so it probably won't last much longer.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

This is such a hard one I havent personally heard of a good outcome. I had a hatchling like this in 2012. It took me 2 weeks to realise what was going on (trying to eat, but leaving no bite marks) Took her to vets where my vet managed to create a feeding tube (she was only 10 grams) this didnt last long and was pulled out. I did manage to keep Ivory going for a year in the hope she would grow big enough for the vet to operate but alas it wasnt to be.

I bathed her in: abidec, critical care, watered down baby food. I did manage to get her to 20 grams but couldnt get past this weight. I had to seperate Ivory as the others would bite her.

There have been a few over the years on the forum, most recently Hannah, cant remember her user name but you might find her on a search? Some years ago there was a lady called Mollbags who had Dinky and she actually found out the reason. He was brn without a bottom jaw/ jawhinge.

My vet did manage to get my torts mouth open while she was fitting feeding tube. Might be worth getting an opinion from your vet? Sometimes they can have a membrane over the mouth/part of the mouth.

Good luck with him/her.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
tgt038
Egg

Thanks all for your responses. Don't think I can bring myself to have to put to sleep, just in case. I have tried everything to open the mouth, but just can't seem to get it open. The others have started to bite, but it's still hanging on.
tgt038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have tried to open a babies mouth and hand feed it that sounds the same as yours to no avail in my opinion the kindest thing to do is to have it put to sleep as trying to what we think is best is not always in the animals best interest and it is more than likely suffering.
You have to remember that everything a tortoise does takes a long time so it probably won't last much longer.
This was my baby, Gordon kindly helped. But if it can't eat, in my opinion it has no future, my baby died , Gordon did his best, but the little tort just couldn't use its mouth. It happens sometimes.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

We've had a couple of others on the forum who had hatchlings with this problem and I don't think there has been one which could be saved.

This is a very difficult decision for Jon to make. This hatchling is trying to eat and is hungry. My feeling is that this is not a good life for this tortoise and unless we are all missing something it can't get any better.
Old 28-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm so sorry to read this, Jon. As the others have said this condition has been discussed before on the forum but it appears there's little to be done. It must be very difficult for you.
There's always support here for you.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
markbigears
Incubating

This is so sad, good luck Jon
Old 29-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Jon
Are you wahing her off well after her soaks? Obviously this is really important when she's in with the others as she will be "tasty"!

I would strongly suggest you separate her if at all possible. Maybe an underbed storage box, a bookcase even maybe an old furniture draw if she is only tiny. The others will sense something isn't right & she doesn't need the added stress of being picked on, on top of her other problem.

Where are you based? (I have two spare small wooden tables here)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote