Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
mark r
Hatched

im in Rochdale if you need help letting the little ones go quietly.

your next lot could beperfect in everyway natures a crule thing but you can be sure it's nothing you've done.
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #22
jayne2942
Hatchling

So sad to hear your news,thinking of you,take care......x
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #23
EJ
Adult

31.5... no wonder here.

28 to 30 is the geneal range unless you have specific reference for otherwise.

I blasted a keeper for suggesting that 31c for Egyptians was acceptable.

Give it a little thought... Med. species often over winter in the nest.

Not many are laid in the summer... that would lead to deformaties which do occur in the wild.

If you are looking for females... 30c should be a max. 1 deg C does not sound like much but it is with most species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
My ibera had 4 eggs on xmas day, 3 of them were fertile, one of them died half way through incubation, one hatched last monday and its eyes are deformed it has no eye at all on the right side and the left eye does not look right, the last egg pipped on thursday but did nothing after that, so i have just opened it about an hour ago and the poor little thing is really bad, it has no eyes and the only way i can describe its jaw is it looks like a cleft palate, i cant understand what has happened, i kept the temp at a constant 31.5 humidity80%. I have taken pics but cant post them, i cant even put them on my profile. I just need advice on what i should do, i feel so sorry for the poor little mites.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
tortilicious
Hatched

Default clefte

Hi Barbara, sorry to here about your hatchlings is the one with the clefte still with us?? the only reason iam asking is i have a dog with a very bad clefte she could not sucle at all so would have died if i wouldnt have intervened with alot of sleepless nights and patience she has pulled through and is three year old in may, so if he or she is still with us its worth a go never give up hope untill hope as gone its self missy still has a snotty nose like a child with a cold but other than that she is fine, i know she may not live as long as a normal dog but i so far have had three good years

Good luck my heart goes out to you
Melanie
www.tortilicious.co.uk
tortilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #25
barbara
Incubating

I know everyone is going to have a go at me for this but yes he is still with us, i just cant do it, he is walking round and drinking but has not eaten anything yet. I think he deserves a chance, a life is a life and as long as he does not look as if he is suffering i am not giving up on him yet.
Old 13-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #26
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Quote:
I know everyone is going to have a go at me for this but yes he is still with us, i just cant do it, he is walking round and drinking but has not eaten anything yet. I think he deserves a chance, a life is a life and as long as he does not look as if he is suffering i am not giving up on him yet.
I think you should give him a chance if you wish. But if he doesn't start eating for himself maybe you should take him to the vets to be PTS rather than worrying over having to do something yourself.
Good luck with him
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #27
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Hi Barbara, I have a little hatchling - not got a cleft pallete like yours, but not eating properly. The vet I saw thinks its blind, I'm not sure but whatever it doesn't manage.

It does manage baby food at the mo, and it active etc. I was told to search for 'dinky' on here by poster molbags as thought it could of been a jaw problem at 1st. Molbags tort had a cleft pallete and its still here 2 yrs on, she had a tube fitted. I pm'd her and she got back to me so might be worth you contacting her to see how she went about it. Good luck
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #28
Lyn
Adult

Good luck with your little one Barbara. I think he also deserves a chance. x
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #29
tortilicious
Hatched

Default clefte

Well said Barbra i agree give him or her a chance, my Missy is still here three years on, just do what you can but dont be too hard on yourself if it dosnt work out
melanie

good luckX
tortilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Barbara he is your tort, if you feel he deserves a chance then he deserves a chance I think I would feel the same. You will know when and if you have to let him go