Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 18-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
cjdlgc
Egg

Default hibernating cuora flavomarginata

I am in the UK. I made my decision to hibernate the flavo based on Fong et al's study on their range in China. Their findings are at odds with Iverson's previous study which placed populations in southern China. Fong et al found a far larger group of territories along the Fuchun and Yangtze drainage, far further north than in previous studies. In fact they consider the southern localities to be invalidand a result of animal trade and pet disposal. I took a look at climate data for the Chinese regions where populations were confirmed and they record lower average temperatures than where I am in the UK. If a species has confirmed populations in a region that have average winter temperatures of less than 5 degrees c surely it must hibernate?

So far temperatures in the soil of my flavo's enclosure have not dipped below 5 degrees c
cjdlgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdlgc View Post
I am in the UK. I made my decision to hibernate the flavo based on Fong et al's study on their range in China. Their findings are at odds with Iverson's previous study which placed populations in southern China. Fong et al found a far larger group of territories along the Fuchun and Yangtze drainage, far further north than in previous studies. In fact they consider the southern localities to be invalidand a result of animal trade and pet disposal. I took a look at climate data for the Chinese regions where populations were confirmed and they record lower average temperatures than where I am in the UK. If a species has confirmed populations in a region that have average winter temperatures of less than 5 degrees c surely it must hibernate?

So far temperatures in the soil of my flavo's enclosure have not dipped below 5 degrees c
The range of the Chinese Box turtle (C flavomarginata sinensis) does indeed extend across a broad swathe of southern China. However, are you sure where your animal is derived?
The brood stock from this animal may well tolerate a period of hibernation but I am not sure that I would take undue risk with such a precious specimen.
please do let us know more about the progress of the animal and perhaps post pictures of the set up and the actual specimen you have?

Are you really saying that the C f flavomarginata, from Taiwan, or the C f evelynae, from the Japanese islands of Ryuku are not truly valid in taxonomic standards?

Last edited by Geomyda; 19-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
cjdlgc
Egg

Thanks for your response Geomyda. I have had 'Kramer' as he is known for the last 13 years and he has been spending around six months of the year outside for the last 5 of these so I know he can tolerate single digit night-time temperatures in spring and autumn without any adverse affects. He certainly seems happier outside rather than in the restricted 6'x2' enclosure I was able to provide indoors. He rarely basks under lamps and seems to prefer more moderate temperatures and certainly doesn't like brightly lit conditions. The study I quoted only dealt with Chinese populations so I am not commenting on the distribution of the species in Japan or Taiwan. I have to admit I do not well understand the distinction between the three sub-species and have read they are almost impossible to tell apart from quotes on a french forum from an expert whose name I forget. I will continue closely monitoring the ground temperature in his hibernation pile and will pull him out if temperatures get close to freezing.
Old 19-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Thanks for your response Geomyda. I have had 'Kramer' as he is known for the last 13 years and he has been spending around six months of the year outside for the last 5 of these so I know he can tolerate single digit night-time temperatures in spring and autumn without any adverse affects. He certainly seems happier outside rather than in the restricted 6'x2' enclosure I was able to provide indoors. He rarely basks under lamps and seems to prefer more moderate temperatures and certainly doesn't like brightly lit conditions. The study I quoted only dealt with Chinese populations so I am not commenting on the distribution of the species in Japan or Taiwan. I have to admit I do not well understand the distinction between the three sub-species and have read they are almost impossible to tell apart from quotes on a french forum from an expert whose name I forget. I will continue closely monitoring the ground temperature in his hibernation pile and will pull him out if temperatures get close to freezing.
Please post pic's of your "Kramer"?
It would also be good to see the outside set up that you use for this species?
Old 20-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #25
cjdlgc
Egg

I don't have any recent photos of him but here is one from a couple of years ago.
http://www.khew.co.uk/im/IMG_1042.JPG
I will take some photos of the enclosure and post them soon. It's basically a 8'x6' raised brick built flower bed with a cage over the top to protect him from predators.
Old 21-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #26
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
I don't have any recent photos of him but here is one from a couple of years ago.
http://www.khew.co.uk/im/IMG_1042.JPG
I will take some photos of the enclosure and post them soon. It's basically a 8'x6' raised brick built flower bed with a cage over the top to protect him from predators.
please do post more pictures?
From the attached photo, the head of this animal looks more like female to me.
Old 15-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
Geomyda
Adult

This is one of my captive bred youngsters, which I think is starting to show the male head characteristics?
Males, have very muscular heads that provide the powerful bite power which these Turtles are known for: