Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 14-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Watermelon
Adult

Question Daisy and her baths

Every day I bathe Daisy and Phoebe, Daisy is always climbing the walls trying to escape rather frantically or if Phoebe is near she will climb on top of Phoebe and then manage to get out sometimes. I've read on tortoise trust that see through walls can stress tortoises out however my mothers lasagne dish which I use to bathe them both is blue. I keep the water shallow no higher than their chins and the water is luke warm, if the water cools down I always add a bit more warm water. Phoebe doesnt mind her baths at all, she just chills out! Daisy on the other hand always has a paddy and I have no idea why. Any suggestions please?

This is Phoebe enjoying her bath.

This is typical Daisy trying to climb out.

Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

They are all different - in all sorts of ways! You will just have to persavere. My large Margie female never liked her bath until I swopped from a high sided washing up bowl to a lower cat litter tray & now she sits there leisurely looking around. Also I have two herman females who were the same, one was quite hysterical & I think used to unsettle the other, same thing with them - ok in lower tray, dont know if its the space they have more room or the lower sides but this has helped in both cases - it could also be the case that they have just got more used to being bathed as I do it regularly.

I wouldnt stop with her - its important & she will adapt, accept it.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
BeatBeat
Hatchling

As Lynn says they are all different. I used to bath mine in the kitchen sink and both of mine were like Daisy, trying to climb out. I now bathe them in a small bowl I picked up from Wilkinsons Hardware and they both chill out now.

0.2.0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri (Matilda & Maizie)
3.0.0 Shetland Sheepdogs (Bryan, Cali & Bubble)
BeatBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Mine chill out and when they're done, they start to climb the sides. Maybe just try a deeper washing up bowl and see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't then perhaps Daisy just doesn't like the water much.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
jeannette37
Juvenile

I use a washing bowl Syd will stay still for ages but Dex will sit still for 5mins if im lucky then he trys to climb the sides i suppose not everyone enjoys bathtime

I don't own torts they own me
jeannette37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Watermelon
Adult

Thanks for replies guys, I've had Daisy a while now and shes def settled down I just dont like her getting stressed out in her baths. Maybe I'll try a different bowl! x
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
retrophile
Egg

Benedict used to freak out in a rectangular blue tub. Now he's quite happy in a large dog bowl I bought him.

Everyone's got their quirks!

0.0.1 Marginated Tort - Benedict
1.0.0 Axolotl - Keith
0.1.0 Red Eyed Crocodile Skink - Edith
retrophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
tootsieroll61
Hatched

My S.J loves her baths, soon as i come in from work she is there waiting for her lunch and bath
tootsieroll61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
shaz
Sub Adult

its funny Storm will sit for hours in a bath but Chase cant wait to get out of it. There so different.
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

My suggestion is .. or what I do is use two washing up bowls and put one tort in each. the sides are high and they can't see through plus the bowls are not too small so the water can be shallow enough but still be quite a lot of it so it stays warm longer. Also, I find that if you bath them after they have warmed up under the lamps they are more inclined to want to get out the water and rampage about the enclosure so if they are bathed within 10 or 15 mins of the lamps going on they are more inclined to sit still, I find anyway.

Some bowls are not cheap but I got one for £1 from Asda and another from the Tesco store that isn't a supermaket but sells the stuff that's in their catalogue, can't remember whgat it is, Tesco Home or something, 79p that one was. They may have them in poundland and places like that
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote