Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Rambotron
Egg

Default UK Heat Wave

Is anyone else in the UK struggling to keep the ambient temps in their indoor enclosures within range?

Yesterday it was so hot that the room temp in my house was between 28-30oC so i had to turn off Irwins light (She has a UVA/UVB Combined bulb thing) because the temps underneath it sky rocketed to 36oC, even though she seemed quite happy running around the 'cooler' part of her table.

I've left the light completely off today whilst I came to work because I cant just leave her to cook, but the poor little thing is probably a bit confused that the light isnt on. And I cant do that long term because she will be lacking her UV's.

So i'm not too sure what to do! except hope it cools off soon!
Rambotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

A day or two won't make any difference. Are you feeding it pellets or plants or both? Pellets like T-Rex dry formula contain vitamin D3 anyway and although maybe not a substitute for D3 from the sun it does at least provide some
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Rambotron
Egg

Thanks Alan, that certainly makes me feel a bit better about leaving her light off!

Shes on a greens rather than pellets (Weeds & Salad with the occasional bit of prickly pear cactus) but I give her daily 0.1mg of Zocal D (prescribed by the vet) because shes recovering from MBD.

I've just googled it and the Zolcal D does contain vit D3 as well as calcium so hopefully that will keep her topped up for a few days,

Better that than a cooked tort!
Old 19-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambotron View Post
Thanks Alan, that certainly makes me feel a bit better about leaving her light off!

Shes on a greens rather than pellets (Weeds & Salad with the occasional bit of prickly pear cactus) but I give her daily 0.1mg of Zocal D (prescribed by the vet) because shes recovering from MBD.

I've just googled it and the Zolcal D does contain vit D3 as well as calcium so hopefully that will keep her topped up for a few days,

Better that than a cooked tort!
Is there no chance of putting your tortoise outside?
As UV levels outside even when its cooler are far higher than anything artificial:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Rambotron
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Is there no chance of putting your tortoise outside?
As UV levels outside even when its cooler are far higher than anything artificial:0)
Unfortunately not! I built a temporary enclosure outside for her so she can plod around while i'm out there gardening etc, but she got a taste for eating mouthfulls of dirt! I had to fight a clump out of her mouth so shes's been banned for the time being. Until I can replace the topsoil I don't want to risk it
Old 19-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Unfortunately not! I built a temporary enclosure outside for her so she can plod around while i'm out there gardening etc, but she got a taste for eating mouthfulls of dirt! I had to fight a clump out of her mouth so shes's been banned for the time being. Until I can replace the topsoil I don't want to risk it
Eating dirt will not harm them, they all do this to a degree, because they are outside on a natural surface.
My tortoises have done this and are still with me:0) Hatchlings in the past have done this too. All natural habits.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

I would say she needs to be outside in this Mediterranean weather, there's nothing like it for our torts, she won't do herself any harm by eating a bit of dirt, mine eat dirt, small stones , wood lice etc. she needs to be out side.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Rambotron
Egg

Does eating dirt not pose a risk of impaction then? I'm confused because everything i've read says that eating substrate of any kind in large quantities is dangerous, I assumed this would include outside topsoil as well.
Old 20-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Does eating dirt not pose a risk of impaction then? I'm confused because everything i've read says that eating substrate of any kind in large quantities is dangerous, I assumed this would include outside topsoil as well.
They do eat soil and stones at times and I don't think they'd eat it in large quantities. Non natural substrates like wood chips or bark etc might be more risky
Old 20-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

.. also, being outside is okay but it can get way over 50c in the sun too so shade/cover would be needed too