Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
Poppy470
Egg

Default Another question on lights....

Hi am trying to get some answers re setting up a new table, if I buy a D3uv & flood lamp will I also need to fit a heat lamp to my new open top table? I have two Mediterranean small torts...
Poppy470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy470 View Post
Hi am trying to get some answers re setting up a new table, if I buy a D3uv & flood lamp will I also need to fit a heat lamp to my new open top table? I have two Mediterranean small torts...
If your torts are on each end of the tab I would go for a long tube and put it over both torts and then separate heat bulbs
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Poppy its quite confusing for new TK cause even I get confused with set ups. Gordon is very well placed to advise.

Rule of thumb is you will need

1) Warmth /basking

2) UV A & B spectrum.

- if you only get A spectrum it will strip the tortoise of nutrients and affect growth.

So with that in mind there are tubes & bulbs. Tubes usually do the light source and UV's but don't generally do the warmth /basking bit - always good to check. Bulbs can do either or can do combined. To answer your question a D3UV is combined ie its both warmth/baking and provides the critical UV A & B. What ever you get check you are getting UV's and warmth - whether separate entity or combined. My preference is combined and then Tortoise sits under and has best of both worlds in one place - switch off easy, less wires and clamps, but equally other experienced keepers will share their preferences ! Clear as mud so ask away !! CB
Old 27-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Poppy470
Egg

Thanks folks, just to clarify, I've got a double table coming soon, so they will have their own table each, which are going to be roughly 4ft by 2 ish foot, each. But I think if I get a D3 UV & flood like you say cherry brandy, that will cover both light & heat, with less cables. I have a crazy cat that likes to try and chew cables so the fewer the better!! Thanks for replying as I have to try & order them this weekend so I can get everything ready for the tables being delivered. I'm so excited!! I can wait to get them into a proper little home that they will enjoy!! ( although this rescuing tortoises has become a rather expensive mission!! )
Old 27-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
Poppy470
Egg

Default Thanks folks for ur great advice....another question....

Just wanted to check it's ok to line the tables with heavy duty plastic, I've seen this on a lot of photos, I presume to stop wood tables rotting....I'm gonna use top soil, play sand and pro life substrate in sleeping area. I ready a thread about not having sand where they will dig, but I'm not sure other than the sleeping compartment where they will dig?
Old 27-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy470 View Post
Just wanted to check it's ok to line the tables with heavy duty plastic, I've seen this on a lot of photos, I presume to stop wood tables rotting....I'm gonna use top soil, play sand and pro life substrate in sleeping area. I ready a thread about not having sand where they will dig, but I'm not sure other than the sleeping compartment where they will dig?
Personally I dont and never have used sand, as it can get quite easily into a tortoises eyes. Which can cause big problems.
They will dig wherever they need to, in their house or outside:0)
Pond liner and thick plastic are used to line a tortoise enclosure, to help stop the wood rotting:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
Poppy470
Egg

Default Sandy...

Thanks Sandy, so just top soil and then put the substrate on top and in sleep are?
Old 27-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

You don't need sand and you don't need pro life soil is the cheapest and easiest way to go.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Poppy470
Egg

Thanks Gordon
Old 28-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
GemJam
Incubating

It looks as though you have got the best advice here and I agree. I use wickes top soil only (3 bags for £10). I use the arcedia combined bulb and my tort loves basking under it and I get the reassurance she is getting uv and heat

My tort table is made from laminated wood/mdf as it is what I had available at the time and it doesn't rot, so no need for a plastic sheet. But as Sandy said you can use pond liner.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote