Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
GemJam
Incubating

Default Drinking after hibernation

Hi all,

My tortoise hettie was hibernated for the first time this year. It seemed to go smoothly, I chose the fridge method for 8 weeks. The fridge stayed a constant temperature, she only lost 3g and has come out of hibernation in good health.

The first day I got her up (Saturday) she stomped round her enclosure for a good 2 hours, had a bath and went to sleep.

Every day since we have got her up, put her under the light and given her two baths a day. She has nibbles of food, which is a mix of weeds and soaked pellets.

My main concern so far, is that we have not witnessed her take a good long drink. I have read that most tortoises need plenty of water to rehydrate after hibernation.

And you will never guess what, as I am typing this I have just spotted her take two gulps of water!! So panic over, let's hope she continues having a drink and is just being sneaky and stealthy.

But just out of interest what would you advise to do if she did not drink sufficient amounts of water after hibernation?

Many thanks, Gemma.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post
Hi all,

My tortoise hettie was hibernated for the first time this year. It seemed to go smoothly, I chose the fridge method for 8 weeks. The fridge stayed a constant temperature, she only lost 3g and has come out of hibernation in good health.

The first day I got her up (Saturday) she stomped round her enclosure for a good 2 hours, had a bath and went to sleep.

Every day since we have got her up, put her under the light and given her two baths a day. She has nibbles of food, which is a mix of weeds and soaked pellets.

My main concern so far, is that we have not witnessed her take a good long drink. I have read that most tortoises need plenty of water to rehydrate after hibernation.

And you will never guess what, as I am typing this I have just spotted her take two gulps of water!! So panic over, let's hope she continues having a drink and is just being sneaky and stealthy.

But just out of interest what would you advise to do if she did not drink sufficient amounts of water after hibernation?

Many thanks, Gemma.
Its just a matter of time:0) They choose and its scary for us.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I have several tortoises that I never see drink and tend not to worry to much but what you could do I'd either spray any food each day or dip it in water that way you know they are getting some.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Suze65
Adult

My old Herman, I hardly ever see her drink, she must do it when I'm not looking.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
My old Herman, I hardly ever see her drink, she must do it when I'm not looking.
Have you tried hosing around your tortoise, mine will drink from puddles left from it.
Also mine will drink from rain puddles when it rains. They seem to like the idea of rain falling and drinking:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes some of mine ive never seen drink in over twenty years. Mine love the rain - their rear ends go up and then they poop - nice ! Evolution though isn't it. Rain, food growth, poop & wee, drink...I think the shell movement is to get the raindrops on their heads isn't it? Lots of nice baths will do it also because they soak it all up through their shells and legs etc even if don't drink, CB
Old 27-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Have you tried hosing around your tortoise, mine will drink from puddles left from it.
Also mine will drink from rain puddles when it rains. They seem to like the idea of rain falling and drinking:0)
She stomps in and out of the water enough, but I never see her stop to drink.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Beatrice tends to drink huge amounts, Bertie I hardly see drink and that is why he is in the bath so much - when awake of course.
Old 28-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
GemJam
Incubating

I usually never see her drink either. I've just been watching closely when she came straight out of hibernation, as I was anxious to ensure she was healthy as it's her first hibernation (and mine).

Interesting theory about drinking from puddles and water falling, I might try that one.

I am soon going to be building her outdoor enclosure, so she can be outside this year. She has been in a table up until now. So she will soon have to get used to a bit of rain!

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hettie will enjoy being outside.

My 2 now live out permanently, other than hibernation of course.

I really enjoyed observing their behaviour and indeed Bertie had started to become rather frisky and I thought I would have to separate them eventually. Now they have so much space it all worked well over the summer.

I remember their first and my first hibernation. So scary! Of course they were absolutely fine.