Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I like the idea of hibernating my tort for a short period of time, I hadn't thought of that.

Sandy, I would love to hear more about your greenhouse hibernation. Do you have a box/tub of soil they dig in to? Or are they digging straight into the ground within the greenhouse?

I have a greenhouse, however it is missing a few panes at the moment, so have to get that sorted ASAP. I am currently planning and starting to build my outdoor enclosure for Hettie and she will move from her tort table and outside in to the big wide world, in the spring. Do you have any pictures of your set up? I would love to see their homes, as I want to go down the natural route.
My greenhouse is set on bricks, with an opening where they can come and go as they please. I block this when they are in windown. They dig down straight into the garden soil in the GH. I have heat lamps for the early Spring and late Autumn. I also have a greenhouse heater set to come on if temps drop below 5c. But to be honest the heater is for me rather than the torts, as it gives me peace of mind. But I have had tortoises go down outside in my garden, and I didn't know where they were. But came up in the Spring:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
Stellanne
Hatchling

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I like the idea of hibernating my tort for a short period of time, I hadn't thought of that.

Sandy, I would love to hear more about your greenhouse hibernation. Do you have a box/tub of soil they dig in to? Or are they digging straight into the ground within the greenhouse?

I have a greenhouse, however it is missing a few panes at the moment, so have to get that sorted ASAP. I am currently planning and starting to build my outdoor enclosure for Hettie and she will move from her tort table and outside in to the big wide world, in the spring. Do you have any pictures of your set up? I would love to see their homes, as I want to go down the natural route.
A greenhouse is not absolutely necessary unless you have multiple torts like Sandy and myself.

I started by asking a joiner to make me a house ..... he called it a glorified rabbit hutch... but I asked for a double skin so that it could be insulated.... and no base. The site for the house (tort lodge) was dug 4ft deep, insulated with breeze blocks and insulation blocks and lined with pond liner.

Heating during hibernation clicks in when temps drop to 5 degrees..... but then after that you have control to increase heat x X X x hugs x X
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

mine just bury down in the greenhouse into a soil shingly mix, and I close the door, and cover the insides so the sun doesn't warm them up - no heat and they all come out on the same day to whatever the weather offers, usually when its 12 degrees - again no heat, totally natural. It then gives me an indication when to get the others up. what a meaney I am but then the good old British weather dictates the food growth etc and for me personally artificial heat can make them more active than perhaps they should or need to be. The torts in my conservatory do get heat lamps though if required. I do monitor avidly though - weather station also to avoid any mishaps. Well over 20 years with no heat, just greenhouses and hothouses! Not saying that's ideal its just how it is and they seem to thrive. CB
Old 23-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #14
GemJam
Incubating

I have decided to hibernate Hettie for a short period (8 weeks) and have been winding her down over the past 3 weeks. I have not been providing any food, but she has had a bath every 2 or 3 days to maintain hydration.

I shall be using the fridge hibernation method, as I have a spare fridge which I have been monitoring and is a constant 5 degrees. For those that use this method, can I ask about the box you use for hibernation. I have read a few suggestions and wanted to know people's opinions. I was thinking I would double box (Cardboard), but was unsure whether to use soil or soil/sand mix or shredded paper for Hettie to bury in. However, I have just read that some just use a single plastic lunch. With air holes in of course!!

Also, I understand that it is necessary to open the fridge every few days to ensure there is a good level of oxygen. But how often do you tend to weigh your tort? And what should I look for? Should I also examine her and what should I look for?

Thank you all.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
sandy
Adult

Quote:
I have decided to hibernate Hettie for a short period (8 weeks) and have been winding her down over the past 3 weeks. I have not been providing any food, but she has had a bath every 2 or 3 days to maintain hydration.

I shall be using the fridge hibernation method, as I have a spare fridge which I have been monitoring and is a constant 5 degrees. For those that use this method, can I ask about the box you use for hibernation. I have read a few suggestions and wanted to know people's opinions. I was thinking I would double box (Cardboard), but was unsure whether to use soil or soil/sand mix or shredded paper for Hettie to bury in. However, I have just read that some just use a single plastic lunch. With air holes in of course!!

Also, I understand that it is necessary to open the fridge every few days to ensure there is a good level of oxygen. But how often do you tend to weigh your tort? And what should I look for? Should I also examine her and what should I look for?

Thank you all.
I dont use this system, but when I boxed my tortoises, I never weighed them in the first two weeks of going into hibernation. As this gives them time to really settle down. After the first weighing, I used to weigh every two weeks.
And look for urination in the box, a runny nose and sunken eyes. All these would need you to get the tortoise up straight away:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #16
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:

Thank you all.
Hi Gemma...I hibernated Jerry in the fridge successfully last year. Here's a couple of images of the set-up I used..Hope it helps...

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #17
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hello Keith
I remember this from last year. I was very impressed with your posts and was very tempted to follow suit. This year I am trying to be semi natural, if there is such a thing. I will have to see how they get on. Although a worry going well so far.
Old 29-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
CherryBrandy
Adult

I remember to because Jerry finished off the lemonade ! no ice though, CB
Old 30-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #19
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Will be interested to hear about your "semi natural" approach, Jan. I think the natural path taken by Sandy and Stella is the way I will go with Jerry eventually..He'll be in the fridge again this year though. I'm starting wind down a little later this year, so I can get Christmas out of the way before bringing his fridge in from the garage!
He's demanded brandy this year, CB!

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #20
Jan W
Sub Adult

Brandy indeed! He is obviously moving to naughty juvenile behaviour quickly....

I will make sure I post all the details with how it went in a couple of months. Basically I have a high water table here, so natural is impossible. Together with a big mole problem. While they have been indoors the moles have been up in their garden area 11 times. I will have to be the mad woman jumping up and down in the spring - they do not like vibration.