Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 18-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I agree regarding the carex and I have them in all the enclosures. They are definitely favourites.
I have some granite in my enclosures but that photo is making me think of getting more limestone chippings to go in again. I used to have a fair bit in the old enclosures but after a year or so they soon got trampled into the topsoil. I'm reluctant to have too many small stones for fear of the females eating them and getting impacted. Hmmm...you've got me thinking now. I reckon a little gravel and some limestone would be worth getting. Thanks for that Keith. It's always good to re-consider things and try to get as natural a habitat as possible in the garden. Some of my females love to dig down in the soil so I couldn't have their enclosures quite as rocky and gravelly as their natural habitat probably is, but it gives me something to work on through the autumn so they have a great enclosure for next year.
I understand concerns with rocks and stones but I think that if the diet is correct and high in fibre, gravel can and does pass through as nature intended. Jerry is only two years old but so far I've had no problems at all with him...As for digging down in rocky terrain, take a look at this pic taken last year, he loves it..

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 18-08-2016 at 05:08 PM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

Great pic.
I'll definitely do some landscaping. Always inspiring seeing other enclosures and as we started with a blank canvas on the new ones this year there's no better time to keep improving.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
Jan W
Sub Adult

I'm putting down some more pea gravel, but should I have some limestone too. Excuse my ignorance, not aware of the difference, so will need to check this out at the garden centre. My 2 definitely like to bury themselves in the soil area and also enjoy the dappled shade from the plants.

Security- I haven't put a lock on the door as round here this seems to give people the impression there is something worth breaking open. Still a bit unsure though. IF anyone opens the outhouse door, then the dangly tin hearts make quite a noise and I can hear them from my bedroom. So far so good. Also the tortoise area can only be seen if someone is trespassing and they would have to climb a fence and go through a gate. Is a worry though.

Love the latest picture.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
JerryMaffz
Incubating

It's great that this has given some inspiration. I'm certainly no expert, but it just makes sense to me to try to replicate the natural habitat. One thing that did concern me with Jerry living outside and grazing naturally was whether he'd get enough calcium. (I dust his food with nutrobal and limestone flour when he's indoors, like most of us.) So when I added the substrate to the enclosure I also added 15kg of Limestone flour. Any weed and plant growing in there now should be naturally high in calcium. The limestone chips and rocks should also leach calcium into the soil when it rains and he also has his cuttlebone....Jan, the chippings I use are called Cotswold Buff.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 18-08-2016 at 11:16 PM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think its brilliant keith, lots more pickies needed too as its always good to see different ideas and catering for different species. I do like seeing my little margies roam the grass though and think I am a little selfish as I don't plant on the grass but I do have lots of little obstacles for them to run round. They don't bury like Jerry but I will add limeflour to the lawn and other areas as that is excellent thought and very natural, CB
Old 19-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #16
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thanks Jerry for limestone info.
Old 20-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Keith's habitat for Jerry is a great unit. It can be picked up and taken to a new site and has everything Jerry needs to make his own choices which is so important to his welfare.

This is a better though-out and executed idea for keeping a small tortoise than any of the commercially available things that I've seen.

Yes a larger tortoise would eat all the food plants and trash the whole place within a day! But that's not the point, this is intended for a wee one.

I've not had problems with my tortoises eating stones.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Keith comes up with for Jerry when he gets a bit bigger.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 20-08-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
Suze65
Adult

I have a few who are determined to eat small stones, so I do have to be careful not to use small stones. But I love Jerrys enclosure.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote