Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
StephenDawn
Egg

Default Combined lighting.

Well we have just had our second Exo Terra solar glow bulb blow before its warranty is up and this time its taken the Exo Terra fixture with it! Because we are in a mad rush to buy a new one to save our izzi freezing her shell off we are going to get another Exo terra fixture to fit the spare bulb we have. But we have heard of many a problem with them recently and just wondering what you guys think is the best product to use.

We are probably always going to stick with combined as it is just care free and space saving so what we are looking for... bulbs and fixtures that will last the longest, ability to put fixture in different locations i.e hang from top/side struts and the big one.. cost effective. If on the other hand you feel exo terra solar glow bulb and glow light fixture are fine just say so its all about opinions. Thanks guys!
StephenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

Solar glows do seem to have a poor reputation.. Arcadia D3 100w or 160w seems to be one of the best combined bulbs about at the moment. As for lighting fixtures, Exo terra glow light large is what most use with them
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
StephenDawn
Egg

Right ill have to look that one up, do you use one? if so how long about does one bulb last? we use that fixture im just pretty gutted that the fixture blew as well, we have a surge protector also so its obviously a bulb fault
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
TillyTortoise
Adult

I have 3 running at the moment and have had no problems, they are covered by a 12 month no quibble guarantee I use these holders.. Not the prettiest but they are made to last! http://www.inkaproducts.co.uk/dome-s...amp-p-167.html
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
StephenDawn
Egg

brill, do you still change the bulbs every 6 months or do these ones not lose their effect?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDawn View Post
brill, do you still change the bulbs every 6 months or do these ones not lose their effect?
Recommended to change then every 12 months.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have had 2 Arcadia 160w bulbs running for about 21 months and 18 months and not only have they not blown, they are still producing great levels of UVB. See here

I use this bulb and this holder and this stand

the bulbs have a 12 month guarantee.

If your bulbs are blowing then it could be that they are not getting a good connection - see here
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
StephenDawn
Egg

theres definitely nothing wrong with the way the fixture was/ bulb screwed in as it was as tight as possible and all parts are as they should be. We've bought a new fixture now and alls good but from whats been said we're probably going to change to the arcadia bulbs so thanks alot for your help guys!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
gwenq
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
Solar glows do seem to have a poor reputation.. Arcadia D3 100w or 160w seems to be one of the best combined bulbs about at the moment. As for lighting fixtures, Exo terra glow light large is what most use with them
I have had two sets of the above combinations running since February and I have had no bother at all - touch wood, fingers crossed!!!
gwenq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Easter Bunny
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I have had 2 Arcadia 160w bulbs running for about 21 months and 18 months and not only have they not blown, they are still producing great levels of UVB. See here

I use this bulb and this holder and this stand

the bulbs have a 12 month guarantee.

If your bulbs are blowing then it could be that they are not getting a good connection - see here

I use the same Bulb, stand and holder as Alan.

I used to use the solarglo bulbs and they kept blowing. I actually emailed the company and complained so they gave me a free one.

If the holder blew aswell, you might just need to change the fuse. xx