Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
StephenDawn
Egg

Default Claw growing inwards

We noticed a few weeks ago that izzi's first claw on her right foot has grown towards her leg instead of out, we waited until now to ask anything as we saw the vets at the Cheshire tortoise day. The vet clipped her other claws but left that one and said its very common. Does anyone Know why he didnt clip it? I'm quite worried as it is roughly a millimetre away from her leg. We tried filling it but its really awkward as it moves with the file so looks like we could hurt her by doing it.
Anyone else had a problem like this? If so what's the solution? Will it grow into her leg?
StephenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDawn View Post
We noticed a few weeks ago that izzi's first claw on her right foot has grown towards her leg instead of out, we waited until now to ask anything as we saw the vets at the Cheshire tortoise day. The vet clipped her other claws but left that one and said its very common. Does anyone Know why he didnt clip it? I'm quite worried as it is roughly a millimetre away from her leg. We tried filling it but its really awkward as it moves with the file so looks like we could hurt her by doing it.
Anyone else had a problem like this? If so what's the solution? Will it grow into her leg?
A picture would help, as what one person thinks is long, to another it might not be:0)
I am sure if the nail had been a problem, he/she would have trimmed it. Just remember female tortoises need slightly longer nails for digging nests.
Try and make sure, in your enclosure somewhere there are hard surfaces.
A thick piece of slate (not roof tile slate) large stones or a log. Tortoises love to explore and climb:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

My old Herman male has a claw that grows to form a hook. Where he lives is a rough area & he's always outside & got caught up by it a few times so I cut it quite short now to above the point where it bends. I did it a bit at a time, it did bleed on one occasion & I applied pressure & cleaned with iodine & it was fine - hes free to charge around unhindered by it now!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
StephenDawn
Egg

Ill try and get a picture up of the claw and the enclosure as well but I'm quite certain we have enough hard surfaces. It's not so much the length that's concerning us it's the direction of growth but you'll see when we have the pic.
Old 27-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
pagan queen
Adult

If you cut it and it bleeds you can put corn flour on it to stop the bleeding.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
StephenDawn
Egg

ok photos to follow...
first one is the enclosure, as you can see we have plenty of hard surfaces

this is the photos of Izzi's claw

and this is the better one, you can see how it has curled and the distance away from the leg.

thanks
Old 27-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

You just need to keep it clipped, my old hermann has a claw curling round, and I clip it, take it down slowly. Ordinary nail clippers will do or I use small animal nail clippers, the type used on rabbits and guinea pigs. You can get them in pet shops.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote