Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
StephenDawn
Egg

Default Spines

Ok another one that when i've looked over the forum have found differing opinions. We have an optunia cactus in the enclosure with izzi, however we havent put it to ground level for fear of the spines getting caught in eyes/soft spots etc... what would you do? Is it a valid worry or are we being daft because if it is we have just wasted a few squid on this cactus. Also when it comes to feeding would you guys cut/burn off the spines or just leave them? Thanks.
StephenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

To feed I hold with tweezers & burn the spines off with a match.
Dont know about putting it at their level. I have big conifers in my greenhouse but they are in high pots above tort level. If they are not too spiney could you pull them out using tweezers? (there are spineless varieties - I know its a bit late now!)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Easter Bunny
Adult

I tried burning off the spines and it ended up looking like a charcoaled cactus, lol

I cut the spines off for my bigger torts, but it does end up a bit messy with spines in my hands

To be honest I'm going for the spineless ones next time x
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
StephenDawn
Egg

yeah unfortunately we wanted the cactus for foliage more than food so we were quite disappointed when our described as "less spiny species" cactus arrived with 1000's of spines some up to an inch long but never mind. More money wasted
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Levi
Hatched

There not native to the Med and Africa, just another introduced unwanted invasive species.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
StephenDawn
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
There not native to the Med and Africa, just another introduced unwanted invasive species.
nativity isnt an issue just wanted something hardy that izzi could nibble if she wanted
Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDawn View Post
nativity isnt an issue just wanted something hardy that izzi could nibble if she wanted
I presume any fauna that eats them has adapted to eating them over a very long period of time.
I was once told by a member of this forum that they are high in calcium oxalate and oxalic acid and the crystalline structures found in their tissue is very difficult to metabolise and would be near useless as a source of dietary calcium in normal gut digestion.

They can also give a tortoise the "runs".

Personally I don't bother with them.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
StephenDawn
Egg

the same could be said about weeds that are found in this country but no where to be seen in the med yet if it says its safe... why not. Up to now we havent fed any and if/when we do it will only be in very small quantities but everyone has their own opinion.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
rocio
Hatchling

I only feed opuntia once a month as a treat as it does make them loose if fed regularly. Given at this frequency it makes an ideal vehicle for any pills you may need to dose the tortoise with as well as they LOVE and ADORE opuntia. Sorry to have to tell you that I have the spineless variety!

www.cactusinspain.com
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote