Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
jumblebee
Egg

Default Horsfield set up - lamps etc.

Hello all - I've been reading these forums for a while now, doing my research before getting a tortoise of my own

I'm now in the process of buying all the kit with the hopes of finding a juvenile or hatchling horsfield in my local area fairly soon (Cornwall, in case anyone can help!).

I think I'm fairly sorted when it comes to what's needed apart from with the UV and heat lamps, in as much as I can't decide whether it would be best to go for a mercury vapour bulb or UV bulb + basking lamp. There seems to be pros and cons for both, so I was wondering if you could tell me what you use, and any particular brands you could recommend?

Thanks in advance
jumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Lisamn
Hatchling

Hi Jumblebee. I have 3 Horsfields and use Arcadia combined MV bulbs. Mine are 100w, so in the winter do not always reach the temps I require. Because of this, I also have a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat. The Arcadia bulbs come with a no quibble 12 month guarantee, so if anything goes wrong, you can get them replaced immediately. Hope that helps.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
alley cat
Adult

I have Arcadia bulbs 100w and 160w, it will depend on your table size as to what you require, I like the combined bulbs just because they look neater!

I also have this years Horsfield hatchlings for sale and am not too far from you
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Catwoman63
Adult

I have both combined and seperate uv and basking lamp in different tables/outside sheds, but i use Zoomed Mercury vapour lamp 100 & 160 watt which has been brilliant for me.

I have the combined in a couple of tables indoors and used to have them in the sheds outside but i did change to seperate uv strip and basking lamps, as the combined lamps cant be used on a thermostat and the temperatures in there reached above 40c. I can lower or higher the height of the combined indoors.

The seperate basking lamps are now controlled by thermostats, so they switch off when it reaches a certain temperature and allows for the uvb strips to stay on. But ofcourse in this current lovely weather we are having i dont switch them on, only when the weather is a bit cooler and they need that boost in the morning to "get them going" x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
jumblebee
Egg

Ok, so it seems like the mercury vapour bulbs are popular, but I think I might get a basking lamp and thermostat for the winter as the house sometimes gets nippy.

Alley cat - are you advertising on Preloved at the moment? If you are then I sent you a message yesterday! Your babies look gorgeous
jumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote