Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #131
CherryBrandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
CherryBrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE England
Posts: 4,265
Default

I cant get rid of all the buttercups on the lawn and there are hundreds but they do go when mowed. I will post some pickies because Beau and others in enclosures just mow them down and my others are really old so its not buttercups that may kill them. Wasn't there an old wives tail about buttercups and helping stings. I know they shine on the shine...CB
__________________
Horsfields, Spur Thighed, & Marginata
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #132
emma_mcraf
Senior Member
Adult
 
emma_mcraf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Devon
Posts: 11,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I cant get rid of all the buttercups on the lawn and there are hundreds but they do go when mowed. I will post some pickies because Beau and others in enclosures just mow them down and my others are really old so its not buttercups that may kill them. Wasn't there an old wives tail about buttercups and helping stings. I know they shine on the shine...CB
We don't have buttercups on our lawn so I don't have this problem.
I remember them being used to see who likes butter. Such simple childhood pleasures. Can't imagine kids doing that now.
__________________
Emma

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #133
Ozric Jonathan
Senior Member
Adult
 
Ozric Jonathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West of Scotland
Posts: 4,226
Default

I think the plant that helps stings is the dock. If the sting is from a nettle.

Buttercups are Ranunculus species and wikkipedia says there are 600 species. Had a quick look at the list and a lot of them are "something" buttercup. Including Sardinian Buttercup. I wonder if any of the tortoise species on the island eat it?

Lesser Celandine is a Ranunculus and that is a 'do not feed' plant too. Maybe all Ranunculus species have something in them that is bad for tortoises.
__________________
Testudo Hermanni Hermanni (Corse) tortoises
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #134
sandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 12,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I think the plant that helps stings is the dock. If the sting is from a nettle.

Buttercups are Ranunculus species and wikkipedia says there are 600 species. Had a quick look at the list and a lot of them are "something" buttercup. Including Sardinian Buttercup. I wonder if any of the tortoise species on the island eat it?

Lesser Celandine is a Ranunculus and that is a 'do not feed' plant too. Maybe all Ranunculus species have something in them that is bad for tortoises.
Yes this is all true, and always best to avoid all of them:0)
__________________
< > 60+, keeping ibera, graeca and box turtles
\0/
/_\

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #135
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult
 
Alan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sunny Scotland
Posts: 21,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I think the plant that helps stings is the dock. If the sting is from a nettle.

Buttercups are Ranunculus species and wikkipedia says there are 600 species. Had a quick look at the list and a lot of them are "something" buttercup. Including Sardinian Buttercup. I wonder if any of the tortoise species on the island eat it?

Lesser Celandine is a Ranunculus and that is a 'do not feed' plant too. Maybe all Ranunculus species have something in them that is bad for tortoises.
Aye dock leaves is the one for stings though I can't remember it ever helping
There is no way really of knowing if plants are definitely toxic to tortoises especially when they are known to eat plants that kill other animals. I suppose that if tortoises were dying because of eating stuff like buttercups and daisies we'd have heard plenty about it.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #136
Stellanne
Member
Hatchling
 
Stellanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 686
Default

It is not surprising new keepers get confused.......there is such a of of grey areas.... And at the end of the day the life of a tort no matter how old is so precious x x x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #137
CherryBrandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
CherryBrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE England
Posts: 4,265
Default

The only plant I truly stear clear of is ivy but i've always had buttercups in abundance as they are rife in the garden and my torts have always eaten them for years, though Ive read the hyperlink with interest though wonder as its America whether English buttercups are very different. I think Jonathan you alluded to that maybe? And as Alan says I cant see how we would ever be truly sure. it must be a matter of case by case with some things.

Is it like cut grass for piggies perhaps. lots of vit c in grass but minute you cut it it lets off toxins and can kill piggies if ingested as the gases build up in the cut grass as opposed to uncut which they eat till their little tums are full, or in my case with mine not full....

I wouldn't feed them but Beau actually seeks them out. CB

__________________
Horsfields, Spur Thighed, & Marginata

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 31-05-2016 at 09:28 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #138
Ozric Jonathan
Senior Member
Adult
 
Ozric Jonathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West of Scotland
Posts: 4,226
Default

As usual a super pic to demonstrate your point CB. But my opinion is that in this case you are mistaken. Numerous plants including Yew Tree and Foxglove are described as highly toxic to tortoises by just about every accepted source of information about tortoise health and nutrition. At the very least I suggest you should add the plants which the Tortoise Table website describes as toxic. In my view your list of only one plant (ivy) that should be avoided is unwise.

Tortoises in nature may have an opportunity to instinctively balance out food sources. But our gardens are full of plants which tortoises never encounter in their natural range. As a result they have no basis on which to evaluate these plants and might eat them regardless.

I can't find the right article on the Tortoise Trust site but somewhere on there a definite case of fatal poisoning of a tortoise by eating buttercups is described. This was shown in an autopsy.

I'm not suggesting you should treat the whole garden with Roundup but your policy of only avoiding ivy is just as extreme as that but in the other direction!
__________________
Testudo Hermanni Hermanni (Corse) tortoises
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #139
Stellanne
Member
Hatchling
 
Stellanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 686
Default

Fab photo CB, I remember going into extreme panic mode when a tort once ate a buttercup flower!!!! My general rule is never to let torts anywhere near evergreen plants or plants grown from bulbs..... After that I check the Tortoisetable and if the site says ok I will give it a go......if it says not then I do not grow it. Over the years my garden has evolved into that 'safe'enviornment and I feel quite secure knowing I can, if I want to, let my torts roam outside Tort Lodge Gardens x x x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #140
CherryBrandy
Senior Member
Adult
 
CherryBrandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE England
Posts: 4,265
Default

Thank-you. yes I don't disagree with either of you at all. That example Jonathan was in America and the owners had fed their tort masses of cut buttercups appearingly rupturing the tortoise stomach. Think cows ...loads of gass maybe ? which is why I said about cut grass....cut anything maybe.

You can see my lawn and all the yellow throughout, a tuffy really, and aquilegia grows rampant and digitalis (spy killer plant) is also there, hosta's and some also go for Lords & Ladies ....generally I believe I have only ever lost Torts that have come to me sick as part of a supportive aid programme.
Lettuce eats pigeon poop every opportunity.
I only get rid of the ivy and Russian vine. I find my Horsfields leave ivy well alone anyway and leave it if picked also by mistake.

Its a compromise I suppose. I wont fed them but wont kill the flowers either. Do I even own roundup...no! I hate chemicals, I won't have bleach in the house. Where does all this stuff end up , in the earth, down the drain...into the lakes, rivers, streams and reservoirs now that does more harm than a few buttercups I reckon. Its about proportionality However TTT Lady - Fabulous ! Can not fault the site, its a superb guide and source of advice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
As usual a super pic to demonstrate your point CB. But my opinion is that in this case you are mistaken. Numerous plants including Yew Tree and Foxglove are described as highly toxic to tortoises by just about every accepted source of information about tortoise health and nutrition. At the very least I suggest you should add the plants which the Tortoise Table website describes as toxic. In my view your list of only one plant (ivy) that should be avoided is unwise.

Tortoises in nature may have an opportunity to instinctively balance out food sources. But our gardens are full of plants which tortoises never encounter in their natural range. As a result they have no basis on which to evaluate these plants and might eat them regardless.

I can't find the right article on the Tortoise Trust site but somewhere on there a definite case of fatal poisoning of a tortoise by eating buttercups is described. This was shown in an autopsy.

I'm not suggesting you should treat the whole garden with Roundup but your policy of only avoiding ivy is just as extreme as that but in the other direction!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Fab photo CB, I remember going into extreme panic mode when a tort once ate a buttercup flower!!!! My general rule is never to let torts anywhere near evergreen plants or plants grown from bulbs..... After that I check the Tortoisetable and if the site says ok I will give it a go......if it says not then I do not grow it. Over the years my garden has evolved into that 'safe'enviornment and I feel quite secure knowing I can, if I want to, let my torts roam outside Tort Lodge Gardens x x x xhugs x x x
__________________
Horsfields, Spur Thighed, & Marginata
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.