Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Flynn
Egg

Question Pellets

Hello,

I do not intend to strike up a debate - I simply want a straightforward answer if that's ok. Are/or are not pellets an OK food to feed my tortoise (almost primarily, with a few weeds mixed in rarely) and of course water.

I find it the easiest to feed, as finding weeds for me is difficult. I am just wondering, factually, whether the food provides enough substance and such to keep my tortoise going.

I've been feeding it for a while now and he seems the same as ever, but I've been reading up and it seems the generic consensus is "DONT'T use pellets", with little explanation as to where the conclusion comes from...

Thanks!
Flynn.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
kafkas daughter
Egg

Whoa Flynn her we go again
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
judith ann
Hatched

This should be good I need to know the answer to that myself as preparing for winter months with my Sulcata Judy
0.1.0.Freisian Mare.Trijntsje
2.0.0.Budgies.Oliver and Magic
2.0.0.Russian Dwarf Hamsters.Morgan and Toby.
0.1.0.Teenage Ggrandaughter.
1.0.0.Long Suffering Husband.
0.1.0.Sulcata Fluffy
1.4.0.Children
2.6.0.Grandchildren
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
pagan queen
Adult

Yes Pellets are an OK food to feed your tort.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
filardimarg2
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to filardimarg2

I feed them sometimes, not often, i have had my first tort, wilma now since january this year, she has had them about 5 or 6 times.
This is the first full winter i will of had tortoises & will be feeding them, sometimes, along with pre alpin, what weeds i have grown & salad bags, but i do hope to feed as many/much weeds as possible. I have already planted lots of seeds & have lots more to plant in the next few months, but i think my 3 torts will have some pellets this winter.

Marg.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

there is no right or wrong answer, you'll always have those that are strict weed alone and those that use pellets, both have good results and both will always argue their point. Decide what you want to do its your torts after all, I use them as well as weeds/plants, soaked pellets every other day along with greenery and greenery alone on the other days and it works well for me.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
shellonia
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
there is no right or wrong answer, you'll always have those that are strict weed alone and those that use pellets, both have good results and both will always argue their point. Decide what you want to do its your torts after all, I use them as well as weeds/plants, soaked pellets every other day along with greenery and greenery alone on the other days and it works well for me.
Yes that regime works well for me too.So use both and you won't go wrong!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Tr@cey
Hatchling

No one can know the answer for sure (regarding pellets) as the long term effects will not be seen for a few generations which will obviously be a few hundred years!

We can only be sure, that a natural diet (the same as what they would eat in the wild) is ok in both the short and the long run.

2.3.0 Testudo Graeca Ibera
1.0.0 Cat
3.0.0 Kids (all grown up)
1.0.0 Husband
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Hello,

I do not intend to strike up a debate - I simply want a straightforward answer if that's ok. Are/or are not pellets an OK food to feed my tortoise (almost primarily, with a few weeds mixed in rarely) and of course water.

I find it the easiest to feed, as finding weeds for me is difficult. I am just wondering, factually, whether the food provides enough substance and such to keep my tortoise going.

I've been feeding it for a while now and he seems the same as ever, but I've been reading up and it seems the generic consensus is "DONT'T use pellets", with little explanation as to where the conclusion comes from...

Thanks!
Flynn.
That depends on what pellets they are, Pre Alpin on their own are not a complete diet for instance. Even pellets that are a complete diet need to be fed with care
Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr@cey View Post
No one can know the answer for sure (regarding pellets) as the long term effects will not be seen for a few generations which will obviously be a few hundred years!

We can only be sure, that a natural diet (the same as what they would eat in the wild) is ok in both the short and the long run.
You can't even be sure of that. We can't give the same diet as they would get in the wild. There is a huge variety of weeds available to them in the wild while we only feed a fraction of those. There is no "natural" diet in captivity.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Closed Thread