Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 19-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
yuna1971
Adult

Question Mallow question....& wet/mould on weeds?

I was just wondering...
Anyone picked mallow and found on the back of the leaf - these little raised dots, almost tiny little dot-like pimples?? They are yellowy looking or even reddy looking....
Is this part and parcel of the mallow leaf?? I get a bit nervous feeding these bits to Lily as worry that it might be some sort of mould spore or something. But I look around and find lots of real juicy young leaves...but some still have these little dots on them??
Will have to get a pic as I have some in my bag I collected the other day.
But anyone know what this is...and if its still safe to feed with these bits on??

Come to think of it...with the rain and frost of late - lots of weeds are 'turning' now, so in terms of gone-off weeds, how extreme do we take it?
Some plantain does seem to get these damp/wet discolourations on the leaf - so is this safe to feed?
And how bad are bits of spore/gone off bits on weeds to feed?......A valid question and with harsh weather predicted next week, if anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Cheers. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 19-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Our plant mould spores would be different to other countries fungal attacks of plant's, types of wild plant and conditions would alter this. Have not read anything on how safe a fungus would be to feed, there is no information i would bet. I do know cereal fungus is extreamly dangerous to humans causing a deterioration of the lungs and some Autumn leaves with the mildew type fungus is toxic to us, i.e Sycamore black spot.
Old 19-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Oh the back of the Mallow leaf, little pimple thingy's, are they insect/catapillar eggs stuck to the plant.
Old 19-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I had some weeds the other day rach with little reddish rough bits on the underside, I did wonder if they were eggs of some kind or some kind of plant disease but decided eventually it was eggs as it was in small areas, not over all the plant or on every leaf. they were pretty well stuck to the leaf. I flung them but they might have been harmless. regarding the white mouldy ones, I don't give them at all as mould is deadly to torts, not sure what kind of mould but I take no chances.

BTW, it was chicory plant leaves and they seem to have gone off that now. maybe tastes different this time of year
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

Will get some pics up later chaps. Important subject this,as people might not be aware of the dangers of spores and what to look for.

Lily's Movie.
Old 19-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
roofee0778
Hatched

This is very interesting. A lot of what I'm picking at the moment seems to have spores or mould or whatever on. Have been assuming it's bad, just to be safe, but throwing a hell of a lot away.

Ruth
1 funny little thb - Pedro
roofee0778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

I have noticed this too. I have two spots that with great patches of giant mallow leaves, I wondered if its was frost as the more exposed ones had this but I have now noticed a few of the leaves at the other spot having it. I think its weather as the leaves towards the centre of the patches that are protected more seem free of it. Like you I dont chance it & chuck any affected ones.

I went weed picking today after work as finish early on a Friday & there has been a big difference in whats available/quality this week compared to just the last two. Was pleased to find plenty of vetch. Ozzie's favourite!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it might be okay, I just don't know so I don't risk it. torts are susceptible to mould .. as in .. when it gets in their lungs they go downhill pretty quick so I believe. whether that is the same mould that's on plants I don't know. I do think that it's the type you get when redigrass gets mouldy so you need to watch for that
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

See the pimples....
And the spores...or is this frost/dampness.

Does frost cause mould, spores....what is the difference between them??

Lily's Movie.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

I think I would like to know what causes mould or mould spores.
And also,....we need pics of what to identify, what we would see. Or other wise any slight discolouration of a perfectly good leaf and its in the bin. Easy to go OTT on these things...(says she who never is OTT)

Lily's Movie.