Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 21-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Can i point out i dont use this with my meds ONLY red foots. They are doing well on it so far. THIS IS NOT the only food source given.

PLEASE do not turn this into an argument or a discussion about pellets if to use or not

Please only reply if you have used them.

Please start another thread if you wish

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Paulg1
Adult

Like Sarah I use it sparingly. I use it as a suppliment and variation to what they normally eat (grasses and weeds). I believe Ed is the only one who uses it all the time. But the proof is there with his guys may I add. Looks like it works. I still wouldn't use them all the time though.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
sandy
Adult

I wouldnt/dont feed pellets to my boxies or my ibera or graeca tortoises. I dont see the need when I have a plentiful supply of weeds and flowers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

I thought this post was to gain a little insight into other keepers who actually use formulated diets and have first hand experience.

As most of you are aware I've been quite successful using such diets over an 8 year + period. It also seems to be gaining popularity as more keepers use the diet and are met with similar results.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
redshazzy
Egg

i have had my reds for just over 6 months now ,they were approx 2.5 yrs when i got them tiny was also rather lumpy ,
i feed pellets 2/3 times a week with weeds and fruit the rest of the time ,i have to say the new growth is lovely and smooth i couldnt wish for it to be better .
i have been useing the t/rex pellets but as theare has been no distributer in the uk i have had to try others ,i have tried the zoo med (forest tortoise food ) its made for reds ,it turns to much once soaked but the seem to enjoy it but get messy lol,i got some of the new ones komodo ,great ca 3.5:1 but they arnt that impressed with it ,fingers crossed i can get some t/rex soon as they love it and so far im happy with there growth .
i know 6 months isnt a long time to compare but im happy so far .
redshazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
karibum
Egg

I have used trex, exo terra and zoomed grassland for my hermanns. They like the trex ones best and then exo terra and don't like the zoomed ones.
Mine get them about three or four times a week sprinkled over their weeds now that winters here because I find it encourages them to eat the weeds (I'm overwintering). They are still active, so I wondered about the quality of the weeds this time of year and maybe that's why they weren't so keen on them. They've certainly not lost their appetite, just gone off the weeds a wee bit!!

karibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #17
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Can anyone comment on shell growth?
Sorry i wont use them for my meds

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #18
karibum
Egg

Can't comment because don't really know what I'm looking for, but here's a few pics
Marvin

Buster

The first pictures are from around 3 months ago and the second picture today. Would appreciate any comments on their growth.

PS. buster was bumpy when I got him!

karibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
sandy
Adult

I am not sure anyone with a lumpy tortoise fed on pellets would own up to it. But you never know someone might
We see enough lumpy ones on a naturally grown diet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

I've got a couple lumpy tortoises that I raised on pellets... I don't really see your point. All it really proves is that it has to be something other than the diet that causes pyramiding because given the exact same diet a tortoise can be raised smooth or pyramided.

Of the 50+ tortoises I've been feeding the diet there are about 5 that are not developing the way I'd like... lumpy... growing asymetrical... It's curious but acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I am not sure anyone with a lumpy tortoise fed on pellets would own up to it. But you never know someone might
We see enough lumpy ones on a naturally grown diet.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote