Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
houseofcutler
Hatched

Question New Lighting required for Table - What to buy..?

Hi All,

Really don't seem to get on here very often these days but had to make the effort tonight as I would really appreciate some advise on a new lighting set up.

Until yesterday I was using an Arcadia 100W combined bulb along with an additional halogen bulb hooked up to a habistat dimmer to control the temps. The combined bulb has blown (after about a year)

The other lights you can see in the picture are a couple of normal strip lights either side and a GU10 LED, these are just for extra brightness. (By the way this picture was taken just now as I forced the timer to on for a second- that's why the torts are asleep and the room is so dark) I currently have a another halogen bulb in the large bulb holder in place of the D3.

I have been considering switching to a different set up for a while and this has forced the issue.

I read some good things on here about the T5 a while back when they were new but now also see there are the new D3+ UV Floods. I've been reading other threads and the info on the Arcadia website but I start to get a bit lost when looking at the stats beyond how high the bulb should be and am struggling to decide what would be best for use with my table. I presume either of these with halogen bulb(s) for heat would be OK?

If anyone can offer advise on what will give me the best/mostly appropriate coverage etc. and maybe the best positioning/set up that would be awesome.

Each of the long sides of the table are 100cm it is roughly a square just cut at an angle across the front as you can see.

Thanks in advance

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi,

It is true that the Flood has really opened up a new way to light torts. M.V lamps are great at what they do and thatnis to provide heat, light and UV quickly and in a concentrated area, great for morning warm ups! But the area of emission is narrow by nature.

The sole use of M.V is also very costly in terms of electricity and not controllable with a stat.

So...the new advice is very simple.

The D3+ UVFLOOD only draws 24watts. It is a true high output T5 system and uses a power compact. This means in effect that you have 2 short T5s side by side. It uses a very potent dimpled refector to provide a high index of light over a wide area, hence the name Flood.

In real terms the index of this product is roughly the same at 12-15" as a M.V lamp but at that distance over 40-45cm squared. They are IP67 waterproof and as T5 totally flicker free. As T5 this fitting is also MUCH brighter, over a wider area than M.V

You then use your stat controlled heat source next to the Flood. A50w halogen heatspot is usually fine. The stat as you know only provides energy to the
lamp as and when it is needed. This is a HUGE saving in electric when compared to an unstatted system.

You can then use your M.V as supplementary lighting, this is as a "boosting
zone" for the first couple of hours or so in the AM.

The results will be a more visible light, a good and targeted High UV index over a wide area and lower running costs.

There is also a purpose built stand now to allow the flood to be fitted over a table and moved easily.

The lamps are guaranteed to be upper index potent for 12 months and are replaceable.

Tech moves on and with it we should get more usable and cheaper to run systems that increase the availability of the D3 cycle and reduces the risk of Ca depletion.

I'm happy to advise further if required.

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Frazer31383
Egg

Thanks for the info John!

I had been considering changing my set up for a while now (the Exo Terra 160W Solar Glo that I have has blown 3 TIMES since mid March so am getting pretty sick of it!), and like Ben said found all the varying specs and info on various bulbs quite confusing.

Your info has really helped to clarify things and I have always read good things about Arcadia, so next time the bulb blows I will probably buy the D3+ UV Flood and use a standard Halogen bulb for heat (already have a spare halogen for when the Solar Glo blows!).

Frazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Hi,

It is true that the Flood has really opened up a new way to light torts. M.V lamps are great at what they do and thatnis to provide heat, light and UV quickly and in a concentrated area, great for morning warm ups! But the area of emission is narrow by nature.

The sole use of M.V is also very costly in terms of electricity and not controllable with a stat.

So...the new advice is very simple.

The D3+ UVFLOOD only draws 24watts. It is a true high output T5 system and uses a power compact. This means in effect that you have 2 short T5s side by side. It uses a very potent dimpled refector to provide a high index of light over a wide area, hence the name Flood.

In real terms the index of this product is roughly the same at 12-15" as a M.V lamp but at that distance over 40-45cm squared. They are IP67 waterproof and as T5 totally flicker free. As T5 this fitting is also MUCH brighter, over a wider area than M.V

You then use your stat controlled heat source next to the Flood. A50w halogen heatspot is usually fine. The stat as you know only provides energy to the
lamp as and when it is needed. This is a HUGE saving in electric when compared to an unstatted system.

You can then use your M.V as supplementary lighting, this is as a "boosting
zone" for the first couple of hours or so in the AM.

The results will be a more visible light, a good and targeted High UV index over a wide area and lower running costs.

There is also a purpose built stand now to allow the flood to be fitted over a table and moved easily.

The lamps are guaranteed to be upper index potent for 12 months and are replaceable.

Tech moves on and with it we should get more usable and cheaper to run systems that increase the availability of the D3 cycle and reduces the risk of Ca depletion.

I'm happy to advise further if required.

John
Frazer31383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

No problem.

I'm happy to help if anyone has any further questions or you can see the outputs on the D3+ UVFLOOD page on our educational website www.Arcadia-reptile.com

John

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
houseofcutler
Hatched

Thanks for the info John. I think I will go for the flood then and my technology will be bang up to date, which is nice

40cm square is a sizable portion of the table, out of interest is it best to have the heat source centered in this square or over to one side so they overlap - I guess this would allow them to select heat, heat and D3 or just D3 rather than always getting a full hit of both? Currently the hot spot and the D3 spot are pretty much one in the same.

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

See my tortoises
Live Feed

Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Yes the heat goes next to flood so that heat and light is used at the same spot.

John

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
houseofcutler
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Yes the heat goes next to flood so that heat and light is used at the same spot.

John
Yes but specifically is it best to focus the heat source in the middle of the uv or to have it to one side so heat is available without too much uv but also with a lot of uv due to the overlapped area of heat and uv. I hope that's clear

See my tortoises
Live Feed

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

We have ours right next to the flood lamp and Darwin seems to use it very well.

As long as heat and light are grouped together and as such you have cool and shade you have a working light and shade method.

An inch or two right or left won't matter a jot

John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcutler View Post
Yes but specifically is it best to focus the heat source in the middle of the uv or to have it to one side so heat is available without too much uv but also with a lot of uv due to the overlapped area of heat and uv. I hope that's clear

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
houseofcutler
Hatched

OK Thanks John.

My Flood LIght has arrived at work today - Will hopefully get it set up this evening

See my tortoises
Live Feed

Old 18-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Frazer31383
Egg

Question Question on D3 + UV Flood for Arcadia John

Hi John

Finally purchased the D3+ UV Flood this week after the Exo Terra Solar Glo blew yet agan (and the lovely people at zooplus refused to replace or refund due to being outside the 6 month warranty of the original bulb!).

After receiving on Wednesday I then decided I would re-jig my whole set up so ordered a 50W Halogen basking lamp, ceramic lamp holder and bracket and also a Habistat dimming thermostat. They should all be arriving tomorrow (Friday) but the one question I have is, how high should I mount the D3+ UV Flood over the tortoise table? I already have a lamp arm which I am modifying to hold the UV flood but am not sure at what height to suspend?

I have 2 Hermanns in a 4ft x 2ft table, of which approximately 2ft 8" x 2ft is open table, the remainder is an enclosed hide.

I am proposing to mount the ceramic lamp holder and bracket on the same arm as the UV flood but at the correct height to give a basking temp of 30-32C.

Any advice John (or anyone) could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frazer

Last edited by Frazer31383; 19-07-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Frazer31383 is offline   Reply With Quote