Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
kkenny
Sub Adult

Default weight loss

Hi,

My boys have been outside all summer and came back in 3 weeks ago. One (Hanje) of them is happy and although underweight is doing well, he is 15.5cm and 620g but one is not happy, always pacing and over active IMO. Henry's weight has dropped by a lot since coming in. He was 465g and now 411g and at 14cm thats low. What should I do?, they have a 6ft x 4ft enclosure with topsoil and Readi grass. I give Komodo pellets twice a week and fresh weeds and flower (and some dried) everyday.

Both Hermmans THB aged 5yrs. I have had them 3yrs and last year was their first hibernation with me which was a great success.

My next question is - last year I only put them in hibernation for 8 weeks airing on the side of caution so this year could I go for a little longer? 3 months maybe or are they still too young.

Thanks for any tips.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Box girl
Sub Adult

Hi according to the Jackson ratio both torts are very light the larger comes out at 0.17 and the smaller 0.15. I would not hibernate either for even a short time. They are light so could have worms would do no harm to worm. I use Panacur you can get this in a variety of forms needs to be Cat and dog not cow or sheep

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs

Last edited by Box girl; 05-11-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I agree, I wouldn't hibernate either of them. I'm getting a weight of 733g for Hanje and a weight of 554g for Henry for their sizes.

Are they all together?

Danny
Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
I agree, I wouldn't hibernate either of them. I'm getting a weight of 733g for Hanje and a weight of 554g for Henry for their sizes.

Are they all together?

Danny
Yes the two of them are together and always have been. Fights are rare. I will have to re-think but they have never been what they should for their size no matter how much I feed them. I would say they are active. I was mainly worried about Henry's weight loss recently. I will get some worming powder just in case that's the cause.

Thank you for your help.

Henry, THB, July 2008
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkenny View Post
Yes the two of them are together and always have been. Fights are rare. I will have to re-think but they have never been what they should for their size no matter how much I feed them. I would say they are active. I was mainly worried about Henry's weight loss recently. I will get some worming powder just in case that's the cause.

Thank you for your help.
Karin, would it be worth getting a worm count done before worming, to establish if it were needed?

They offer a good service at wormcount.com & sometimes far cheaper than your vet. There have been discussions on here about torts becoming resistant to worm treatments if carried out too frequently or un-neccessarily.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Karin, would it be worth getting a worm count done before worming, to establish if it were needed?

They offer a good service at wormcount.com & sometimes far cheaper than your vet. There have been discussions on here about torts becoming resistant to worm treatments if carried out too frequently or un-neccessarily.
Oh thanks, didnt know that. I have been giving - Verm- X. once a month, this was highly recommended by Keeping Reptiles Mag to control Intestial Hygiene.

Henry, THB, July 2008
Old 17-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
kkenny
Sub Adult

UPDATE -

my boys have increased their weight in the last weeks. Hanje is now 658g and 15.5cm. Henry 464g and 14cm. A little way to go.

At this rate I shall be able to hibernate them in a month or two.

Henry, THB, July 2008
Old 17-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
wigwamman
Juvenile

dont forget that they will lose weight again when winding down as the gut empties,i would be inclined to feed as much as they will eat until then.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote