Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 15-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
steve56616
Egg

Default Horsfield babies

This year I had a better outcome than last year. 3 eggs laid in May. 2 out of the 3 were fertile and two hatched successfully in August. I'm sure mum has laid again but haven't a clue where. Photos to follow
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
steve56616
Egg

Oh, seems photobucket account has gone. Not sure if there is another way of uploading pictures as Im not going to pay for an account with them as very rarely use it.
Just wanted a little advice regarding feeding.
The two babies are around 6 weeks old now and have gained a few grams but they dont eat very much at all. Active and healthy but id like them to eat more.Any advice please?
They are outside in a small safe enclosure as I prefer them to experience natural weather than on a table. I know I will get them on one when weather changes but at the moment weather has been good.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
Oh, seems photobucket account has gone. Not sure if there is another way of uploading pictures as Im not going to pay for an account with them as very rarely use it.
Just wanted a little advice regarding feeding.
The two babies are around 6 weeks old now and have gained a few grams but they dont eat very much at all. Active and healthy but id like them to eat more.Any advice please?
They are outside in a small safe enclosure as I prefer them to experience natural weather than on a table. I know I will get them on one when weather changes but at the moment weather has been good.
They will sleep more when young, and a 2-3 grm per month is a good guide, as you dont want them growing too fast:0)
As long as they are eating and drinking I wouldn't worry too much:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
steve56616
Egg

Thanks Sandy
Old 25-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

yep sounds good. Congrats Steve - try IMUG its free and easy to use, CB
Old 25-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Congratulations on your little hatchlings. I hope they’re doing well now. As Clare suggests, Imgur is free and fairly simple to use.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
steve56616
Egg

Thanks CB. What is IMUG? Trying to find it but not sure what it is?
Old 13-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
steve56616
Egg

Just an update really and a little advice please. Two babies are doing really well. Growing quite quickly. My worry is they might be growing too quickly as dont want them to get bumpy shells.
Also I would like to hibernate them for a few weeks as I prefer them to be more natural and really don't like having them under lights all the time. I know I have to while they are so young but prefer them back outside when the summer comes. Please can anyone tell me the best way to do this and slowly get them down to hibernation point as its hard inside with heating ect. Shall i put them into a cooler room to wind down? Only want 6 - 8 weeks sleep but feel that would be good for them.
Old 13-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
Just an update really and a little advice please. Two babies are doing really well. Growing quite quickly. My worry is they might be growing too quickly as dont want them to get bumpy shells.
Also I would like to hibernate them for a few weeks as I prefer them to be more natural and really don't like having them under lights all the time. I know I have to while they are so young but prefer them back outside when the summer comes. Please can anyone tell me the best way to do this and slowly get them down to hibernation point as its hard inside with heating ect. Shall i put them into a cooler room to wind down? Only want 6 - 8 weeks sleep but feel that would be good for them.
Eight weeks should be a minimum:0)
You need somewhere where temps will not drop below 5c. I used to hibernate my hatchlings (boxed up) in our garage, which is attached to the house. I had a heater in there to come on if temps dropped below 5c, and a thermometer in the box so I could monitor them all the time:0)
Windown would be a little shorter than large tortoises, I used to do three week windown. :0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
steve56616
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Eight weeks should be a minimum:0)
You need somewhere where temps will not drop below 5c. I used to hibernate my hatchlings (boxed up) in our garage, which is attached to the house. I had a heater in there to come on if temps dropped below 5c, and a thermometer in the box so I could monitor them all the time:0)
Windown would be a little shorter than large tortoises, I used to do three week windown. :0)
Thank you Sandy, I was sure you would be able to advise me.
So you think a bit more than 8 weeks? They are a good weight and very healthy. Do you suggest I a cooler room and decreasing the light times or just temp? Also no food for the 3 weeks I assume?
My adults do it all by themselves as outside all spring, summer and autumn. When they start to bury I then use fridge method. Thanks again for your help