Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
veggie86
Incubating

Default Do you weigh before or after wind down?

Sorry if this is a daft question...

When you're using the jackson ratio to check a tort's condition for hibernation, do you use the figure at the start of wind down, or after it?

I would guess you'd use the figure before wind down, because you wouldn't wind down a tort who wasn't heavy enough? But if your tortoise seems a good weight before wind down then loses enough weight to be classed as 'underweight' on the jackson scale by the end do you take this into account?

I may have over thought this and confused myself lol

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

Definitely weigh before starting wind down, you need to know if it's weight is good enough for hibernation.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie86 View Post
Sorry if this is a daft question...

When you're using the jackson ratio to check a tort's condition for hibernation, do you use the figure at the start of wind down, or after it?

I would guess you'd use the figure before wind down, because you wouldn't wind down a tort who wasn't heavy enough? But if your tortoise seems a good weight before wind down then loses enough weight to be classed as 'underweight' on the jackson scale by the end do you take this into account?

I may have over thought this and confused myself lol
The Jackson Ratio is a guide only, the measurements are not set in stone:0)
I usually check the weight of my tortoises just before they go into hibernation.
But I don't use the JR I use my own knowledge of my tortoises, watching them though out the year, and if they have done well, they get hibernated. If I am not sure then I weigh them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
veggie86
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Definitely weigh before starting wind down, you need to know if it's weight is good enough for hibernation.
That makes sense, thanks Do you take into account their weight at the end of the wind down too? Can they loose too much weight during wind down?

Sandy I admire your knowledge of your torts I have nothing to compare Pickles to yet, I've only had him since June so this is our first winter together, it'll be his first hibernation too. I feel like he's done well though...he's small but he's been eating a good variety of weeds and has steadily put on weight and growth, he's been very active apart from last month when he started to slow down (until I put an extra light in his table). I feel like he's ready to try hibernating, and he's a good weight according to the jackson ratio

Old 16-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Check his weight against the Jackson ratio at the start of wind down, it is only a guid. I would say he needs to be 90% of of hi expected body mass, and yes , weigh him before you put him in. This is also so you can see how much he has lost during hibernation.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

I weighed before wind down then just before boxing/fridging, the one before boxing is the one that matters as any weight loss should be during wind down not the actual hibernation. the loss during wind down is from poo/stomach contents and any through hibernation would be actual body tissue which is why you need to keep an eye on any loss. I also kept a record of each years weights for each tort, both before and after hibernation, it was nice to be able to give those records to my torts new owner the more information you keep the better
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
veggie86
Incubating

Ok, thanks guys

So there should be minimal weight loss during hibernation? I've read they can loose around 10% of their weight, is that including weight lost from wind down? Or just during hibernation?

So grateful for all your advice xx

Old 16-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The 10% is during brumination (tortoises technically don't hibernate ). So if your tortoise weighs 542g after wind down, he can lose 54g during brumination and be fine. If he loses more then that it's time to get him up. Weight should be checked monthly.

Danny
Old 16-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie86 View Post
That makes sense, thanks Do you take into account their weight at the end of the wind down too? Can they loose too much weight during wind down?

Sandy I admire your knowledge of your torts I have nothing to compare Pickles to yet, I've only had him since June so this is our first winter together, it'll be his first hibernation too. I feel like he's done well though...he's small but he's been eating a good variety of weeds and has steadily put on weight and growth, he's been very active apart from last month when he started to slow down (until I put an extra light in his table). I feel like he's ready to try hibernating, and he's a good weight according to the jackson ratio
I personally think too much of exactness (made up word) can cause more problems than needed. I use my common sense more than books/web etc. Probably because when I started, there were few books and no internet. So I had to rely on other keepers knowledge and my common sense approach.
I never now weigh any of my adult tortoises before hibernation. But rely on me watching closely through out the year to their habits and behaviour.
I do still weigh any smaller ones, but I am not reliant on their weights either really, but behaviour and habits. They tell me more than books etc:0)
And by the sounds of it, you are learning quickly, by adjusting the lighting and realising that your tortoise is still slowing down, so he/she is telling you they want to hibernate:0)
For some great instructions try www.thetortoisehouse.com they are the ones I use for winding down. But all mine now hibernate in the GH:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
veggie86
Incubating

Great Thanks for clarifying that Danny

Sandy thanks for your encouragement I'll check that site out x