Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to lilacgeorge

Hi Sandy,

Have you any advice to who I should put my 2yr old with? Do I put him with my 2x july 07 (poss) females or my 8yr old female & 6yr old male? (Someone may have already answered this for me on another post but I'll be buggered if I can find it!! )

many thanks,

2.1.2 ~ THB

Frank ~ Tallulah ~ Grace ~ Archie ~ Teefa ~ Mollie

0.0.1 Bearded Dragon ~ Freckles

lilacgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
sandy
Adult

I think the only thing you can do, is try putting them with the smallest of the older tortoises.
I have a year old in with my August hatchlings, she is twice the size of the little ones. They
get on ok.
If you put them in with the older male and female, the male should leave them alone all the
time he has an older bigger female to mate. But you can never be one hundred percent sure.
I have the one smaller ibera in with my adults and she had been left alone up until late
Summer, then I noticed the males trying it on with her. So she must be reaching maturity.
Putting them with the unknown sexed ones might cause problems if one is a male.
Do you/have you posted pictures for someone to try and sex the younger of the older ones?
Sorry hope that makes sense<g>

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

no I haven't posted any pics - shall I add them on to this post or start another?

So if I'm reading you right, it would be best to try and put Archie - currently 2yrs oldm poss male with the 2 currently 6mth olds (who by the time they mix will be nearly one) poss females? And leave Frank & Tally (6yr old & 8yr old) together....

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #14
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Dawn,

Post a new topic in sex and id section.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

ok, will do it now....

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 05-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
helen1
Sub Adult

With male iberas...they CAN get on Ok but I am lucky enough to have a very large area of mixed terrain for them to roam in.

Having said that I had for 30 yrs......a male and female ibera.... I have only the male now as the female was my sons and he went to live with him some time ago. He was never overly violent,,,only on very hot days...she was very fit and outran him too...plus we had a sin bin for him.

Currently all males of mine are seperate from females...except for the 2-5 yr olds....with the hermanns the ratio is 6f to 1 male so I guess he will have a job on in time to come!!

I only have ibera females, 4 , so that isnt an issue yet!!

My female hermann adults have a bigger area than any others as I have 4 and no male.

I would suck it and see and go by size.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
piglet
Adult

My Ibera males get on really well, they live together 24/7 , even through most of the summer in with the girls they are generally fine except the odd bout of aggression when wo are courting the same female then they are resmoved to cool down, but my enclosure is big a nd wild lots of grass weeds and hills ,

All three of my adult males are living together as I type never a problem, they are in the last few days of wind down before a 8 week hibernation and when they wake they will be fine with each other.

I alo keep my central Moroccans (tgg) together again never a problem with aggression again though they have space to move and hide if pestered.

I think aggression is aroused when they are confined to small spaces and have nothing to distarct them boredom causes aggressive stress behaviour also escape routes/hide areas are a must for security when petsering starts.

I keep a 1yrs old Tg with several babies from 8 months to 6 weeks olds they all get on fine as long as food is spread about so the older animal doesn't eat it all.

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I'm the same. I haven't had any problem with agression in my males, which I thought I would. They can get a bit too much for the girls though, so do need some time out now and then, but theres never any violence between the two.

My enclousure is also fairly large and the males seem to create themselves a territory and then stick to it with the females wandering between the two, so it all works out quite nicely.

Indoors I keep the males together and the females together.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote