Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 31-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
83carly
Egg

Default 6yr old male hermann with high worm count & mites help !!!

Please could someone help I've just had my 6 yr old make Hermann tested for worms and his worm count has come back very high 2640epg he has also got mites , I'm after some information on the best wormer for him (I've heard panache is good but don't know about strengths or if paste or liquid and also how to get rid of mites again I've heard rubbing olive oil on his shell is good but don't know if you are meant to rub it on and then wash it off or rub it on and leave it on :/ I'm hoping someone can help worried tortoise mummy many thanks in advance x
83carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Catwoman63
Adult

My new male had a high worm count into the 2000s, I used panacur with good success, I don't use instructions anymore as I know around how much to give by size of tortoises by size of blob (I use the paste as I administer it on a romaine lettuce leaf which they readily accoet) there is a thread on this website somewhere with a link on dosages for weight of tort, do a search. I wouldnt rub olive oil on his shell! As for the mites I don't know what they are and if mine had mites I'd take mine to the exotics vet to find out what they are before they can be treated, but there may be some experienced members who can advise you further on the mites as mine have never had mites, good luck x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

http://www.tinytortoises.co.uk/panac...%20charts.html
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
83carly
Egg

Thank you I got some panacur liquid yesterday and managed to get the correct amount into my tortoise by putting cucumber by his mouth and every time he went to open his mouth I put tiny syringe in his mouth and none came out, was really proud of my boy he did so well just hope it works have read tortoise worming chart and have got to do it 2 more times 10 days apart some hopefully he should be rid of these nasty pests asap x
83carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
johnre14
Egg

I would always recommend speaking to your vet about dosages..... Panacur is obviously widely used to worm tortoises, but we must remember it is a drug, and can (and indeed does) have side effects.

I would also never ever recommend just guessing a dosage.... you may end up under dosing, which will be ineffective and potentially contribute to anthelmintic resistance. Or you may end up overdosing and causing potentially serious harm.
johnre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Catwoman63
Adult

I have had no problem with the dosages i give, at first i went by the dosage chart but once you are used to giving the amount you get to know how much to give without looking at the chart x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote